Edgestar vs. Nostalgia vs. KegCo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GentleDog

Reaction score
Howdy! Long time reader and wanting to get into kegging.

I know I could save some money if I built my own, but I live in a tiny apartment and don't really have much in the way of tools. I've got a gift card to Amazon, so I'm thinking of getting one of these three:

Edgestar
Nostalgia
KegCo

Obviously, I've read the Amazon reviews, but does anyone here have thoughts of which I should get?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a good bit of research and settled on the Kegco 309SS-2 because it seems to be a bit bigger inside, and can fit the CO2 bottle inside and not have it mounted on the back. And you don't have to mod the thermostat to get it cold like the edgestar.

I received my KegCo 309SS-2 and I'm very pleased...except for one issue. It arrived yesterday in perfect condition, and I just plugged it in today (so that everything had a chance to settle from shipping). Everything appears to be top notch quality, and it's relatively quiet...it's 10 feet behind me and I can't hear it over the Black and Decker mini fridge (soon to be rendered obsolete) right next to me.

Now the issue- one of the threaded collars that holds the faucets to the shanks appears to have been machined incorrectly. The threads are very shallow and don't extend as close to the end as on the other one. Because of this one of my faucets won't attach (Perlick 630SS's). I have a moral dilemma, now- do I call Beverage Factory (in CA) and get them to send another one, or do I pay $3.75 and have one shipped from a closer place (I'm on the east coast)? I'm still about a month out from kegging my first batch and needing the 2nd tap (putting a commercial sixth barrel on the first to tide me over), but I'd like for it to be complete.

Call them back, with your invoice #, and tell them what you received, 'cause ya' paid for a good one.

They owe ya' one, and tell them to send you a return shipping label if they want the bad one back.

They have very good customer service at Beverage Factory. I doubt they will have any issue sending a replacement. I don't see the moral issue since you are just asking for what you paid to get.

I received my KegCo 309SS-2 and I'm very pleased...except for one issue. It arrived yesterday in perfect condition, and I just plugged it in today (so that everything had a chance to settle from shipping). Everything appears to be top notch quality, and it's relatively quiet...it's 10 feet behind me and I can't hear it over the Black and Decker mini fridge (soon to be rendered obsolete) right next to me.

Now the issue- one of the threaded collars that holds the faucets to the shanks appears to have been machined incorrectly. The threads are very shallow and don't extend as close to the end as on the other one. Because of this one of my faucets won't attach (Perlick 630SS's). I have a moral dilemma, now- do I call Beverage Factory (in CA) and get them to send another one, or do I pay $3.75 and have one shipped from a closer place (I'm on the east coast)? I'm still about a month out from kegging my first batch and needing the 2nd tap (putting a commercial sixth barrel on the first to tide me over), but I'd like for it to be complete.

I'm with esabasard. Let beveragefactory make it right, and then post back here whether or not they did.

I've had my Kegco K309-3 for about a week now, and I'm very happy with it. More about that in the K209 thread that I'm about to bump. :)

The collar probably has the same issue mine had. The snapring isn't seated correctly. They sent me a new tower since I couldn't get the shank out.

The collar probably has the same issue mine had. The snapring isn't seated correctly. They sent me a new tower since I couldn't get the shank out.

I checked and the snapring is seated. Certain it's the collar. But I'm happy to report that the 309 fits a slim quarter keg (I picked up a keg of Yuengling to tide me over 'til my homebrew is ready) and one corny easily. My first batch is bubbling away in the fermenter as I type this, and I'm looking forward to kegging it in a few weeks.

I picked up the edgestar ultra low temp duel tap kegerator with 2 kegs. Should be in Thursday. I know I had to get a manifold to turn on and off each line seperatly as it only came with a T connection. Also only comes with single regulator so I will upgrade that when I fill my co2 at brew store.. I can review fit and finish this weekend but my beer wont be ready for another 20 days or so.

In the low 30's with the temp so its cold. Grabbing a comercial keg today and kegging mine next week. I like it so far.

1402064863798.jpg

In the low 30's with the temp so its cold. Grabbing a comercial keg today and kegging mine next week. I like it so far.

I'm looking to buy one of these soon before a sale ends. I've heard a common complaint is that it wont get past 40F unless you mess with the thermostat. From what people are saying, it seems to be as simple as calling them for instructions to adjust a few screws.

Did you have to do this to get yours to run that cold? Or are they now shipping them out with a lower factory setting?

Latest posts

Back