Edgestar Mini Kegerator Massive Regulator Leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkeagle03

Reaction score
I have an Edgestar mini keg system that worked perfectly for the first 2 5l kegs but recently I had some trouble with massive CO2 leaks. I would screw the cartridge in and the pressure gauge would max out. The leak is so bad you can hear it across the house and the cartridge empties in about 30 seconds. This is with the regulator turned completely off. I tried various fixes and blew through about 4 or 5 cartridges but had no luck. The leak appears to be coming from a small black plastic nut / valve (not sure what it is) on the side of the regulator. I can feel the air escaping out of it from like 2 inches away.

I emailed my issue to Edgestar support and they said I "probably need a new regulator" which they'll be happy to sell me for $70. That seems awfully steep to me considering the purpose and price of the system as a whole. I've found other mini-CO2 regulators on Amazon, eBay, etc. for about $30 each. They don't seem to be designed to work with the metal CO2 "wrapper" that comes with the Edgestar and I think they require threaded cartridges but that isn't too big a deal. Is this the best way to go? Does anyone have any experience with it or ideas for fixing the regulator that came with the system?

Before anyone asks, I did search on this forum and found a few threads but the most recent is from 2013 and they seem to be dealing with systems that are still in warranty and got sent free regulator replacements from Edgestar (sometimes after a hassle). Mine is no longer in warranty.

Back