Edelmetall Bru Burner vs Blichmann Floor Burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMSetzler

Reaction score
I bought a Boilermaker G2 kettle last week and I need to replace my propane burner to get a more stable fit for this kettle. I'm looking at these two:

Blichmann Floor Burner
Edelmetall Bru Burner

As far as the burners themselves are concerned, I don't think there's much difference in the two. My point of debate is with the leg extensions, which I plan to buy to go with it. The Edelmetall leg extensions use a 3 point contact which might work better for me on a slightly uneven surface. It also 'looks' like the Edelmetall leg base is wider than the Blichmann which could provide additional stability with a 10-gallon kettle.

Your thoughts or feedback on this decision would be appreciated :)

I use the blichmann with the leg extensions. It is very stable and very nice. Used it for about 3 years. Happy with the purchase.

I have Blich with the extensions, they are very sturdy. I love the copper on the Edelmetall, but I think the arms that hold the kettle on the Blich are sturdier. Plus, the "blued" stainless looks super cool after a few good boils, overcoming my copper aesthetic desire.

I don't have any experience with the edelmetal but I do have a blichmann and it is worth every penny. takes less propane than a turkey fryer and is a lot faster.
legs on the blichmann are very heavy duty no concerns here.

I appreciate the feedback. Even though everyone likes the Blichmann better, I went with the EdelMetall. My brewing patio is block and it's not particularly level because of that (it was not built by a professional) and my concern for the burner sitting with stability pushed me to this decision...

EdelMetall.jpg

You can't go wrong with either. I have a blichmann and love it. Interesting you went with the edelmetal due to stability concerns, it seems to me that the feet on the blichmann are larger and therefore have more contact with the ground and theoretically would be more stable.

That being said, you'd really have to try to tip either of these burners, especially with a full pot sitting on top.

Happy brewing!

3 feet will make solid contact with any uneven surface where four will not. On my patio, I am fairly confident that one of those 4 legs would not make contact and that would create instability for me.

Let us know how the burner handles, I've got two Blichman burners, but I have been curious about the Edelman.

Sent from the window of an airplane...

I can't speak as to a comparison with anything else because I purchased a Edelmetall for my first brew. But, I absolutely love my Edelmetall!

I've done 4-5 batches on the same propane tank, it heats 6 gallons of H2O within 10-15 mins to steeping temp (still just extract brewing), holds a boil super easy with simple adjustments, is quiet as can be, sturdy, cheaper than a Blichmann, not to mention...copper is cool! I'm starting to get a little patina on the legs near the top of the burner which looks pretty sweet.

I haven't purchased the leg extensions yet, but plan to just to make my transfers to fermenter easier.

I'm certain I would have been equally happy with the Blichmann had I gone that route, but I'm very satisfied.

Hopefully you're equally satisfied with it!

Cheers!
Rob:mug:

I recently picked up an Edelmetall that I use with a Blichmann G1 15 gallon pot. The brackets do not seem to be as adjustable as the Blich brackets. My pot seems to have too much room between the brackets and the edges of the pot. I do not own the Blich but from the manual it looks like it has more options. I can take pics to show what I mean if this doesn't make sense.

I conjured up this old thread as it is a classic discussion comparing quality pieces of equipment. And much of the content relates to my application.

Having made and used a single tier LP fired two burner for 15 years I would like to change up a bit. The rig needs one burner replaced and the unit is showing its age.

I am thinking of moving to two standalone burners with pumps mounted on the wall.

I have a Edelmetall with the 24" leg extensions. My plan is to use this burner as my HLT source. I like the idea of the Blichmann Hellfire with the dual capacity feature for my Boiling kettle.

I seek advice on safety. No, not the kind of using LP inside. I have that covered. Rather, weight and stability conditions is what I seek advice on.

My standard brew size is 11.25 gallons or, 18 gallons in my brew kettle. At times I may stretch the volume out and brew a 15 gallon batch.

In your opinion will the Blichmann handle that weight safely?

Thanks

Blichmann burners (both the Top Tier/Floor Burner and the HellFire) are sized to handle up to their 30 gallon kettles out of the box. The HellFire can also be had in an "XL" model with wider legs to handle their one barrel kettles.

That said, when used with the 24" legs in the oem configuration (ie: skinny AF footprint) the recommended max loading is 170 pounds. That would cap the max kettle volume around 20 gallons (so, still a 30 gallon kettle) which I'm fairly sure is based not on sheer strength (those bolts and legs are not going to fail, trust me) but secondary stability (ie: when someone bumps into the kettle).

That aspect can be improved upon for ANY kettle size by expanding the footprint.
Eg:

ab_jul_15_2011_02.jpg

I did have to drill the extensions AND the original stubby legs for the interfacing SS bolts but I felt hella more confident using those burners in a stand-alone mode with the extra spread.

Don't know much more about the Edemetall aside from the element is the same bg14 as the original Top Tier/Floor Burner, and the legs clearly aren't as beefy as Blichmann's...

Cheers!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back