Ed Wort's Haus Pale Ale Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsmh2

Reaction score
Tomorrow I am attempting my first PM. I have read the sticky on how to do an easy PM and I feel fairly good about the process. Ed Wort's recipe:

Mini Mash

You might be able to do a mini mash with 5 lbs. of light DME.

Heat 3.5 qts of water to ~168/169F in a pot.
Heat a gallon of water to ~170 in another pot.
Add 2lb. of Vienna and 1/2 lb. of Crystal 10L (crushed grains) to the pot with the 168/169F water and stir very throughly.
Put lid on that pot, placed in oven at 150F.
Let it sit for an hour.
Pour the water (now wort) into your brew pot through your strainer. Put grains back into pot.

Pour the 170F water into the pot where your grain is, stir throughly, let sit for 10 mins. Pour that wort into your brew pot through your strainer.

You'll get 50-60% efficiency with that partial mash method.

Add additional water, extract, and hops to the brew pot and proceed like usual.

My Questions:

*****I will be doing a 3 gallon partial boil. How much water do I start with when putting the grains in the oven? He says 3.5 gallons in the oven so what should I start with when doing the partial boil method?

*****Also, the next step is to use 1 gallon of water to sit in the grains for 10 minutes. Do I still use 1 gallon here?

*****If I do a 3 gallon partial boil when adding my 5 lbs of DME how should I adjust my hops? Reduce by about a 1/3?

Thank you!

It'd be a lot easier to have the grains in a grain bag, and forget the strainer as crushed grain can be a pain to strain.

Check the temperature after you add the grains and water together, and stir WELL! You want to have the mash be at 150-155 degrees. You should have a good thermometer for this.

1. When you do the mash, you can use up to 2 quarts of water per pound of grain, but your recipe is saying to use 3.5 quarts (not gallons!) of water total so that is the amount you'd use. My oven doesn't stay as low as 150, but if yours does you can use the oven. Otherwise, you can stick it in a warmed oven with the oven OFF, and it will hold the heat. Your goal is to keep the mash at 150-155 for the whole time.

2. After you take the grains out of the oven (the mash) the recipe calls for you to pour over 170 degree water. That will "rinse" the grains. Again, it's much much easier to do it in a grain bag, so you can "dunk" the grains in the water instead of trying to strain it.

3. Don't adjust your hops. Just add the majority of your extract at flame out.

Look at the recipe a little closer.

3.5 quarts = almost one gallon.

Hops: I've seen posts from Revvy stating a partial boil wort would do good with about 20% more hops than the original recipe calls for, but I haven't gone and done a side-by-side yet.

*deleted original post*

Nevermind... I think I've been reading too many threads today lol

I'm probably going to be attempting this tomorrow if I can get all the ingredients. I'm just confused by some of the wording.

I'm going to heat 3.5 quarts of water to 168/169F, add the grains, and mash at 150 for an hour, then strain the wort out (I don't have a bag to put the grains in yet)
Then I heat up 1 gallon to 170 in another pot and put the grains in there to sparge for 10minutes, then combine this with the original wort.
Is this what what I boil with, or do I need to add more water first? And I would add the LME at the end of the boil?

I hope I'm on the right track here..

Correct. depending on the size pot you have , add more water to the wort to get the 5 -5.5 gal batch size for boiling. Add the hops as scheduled ; the LME can go 50% when you start the boil and the rest at the end of boil. If pot size is a problem ,use a partial boil and top up your carboy or bucket with clean cold water,and mix well to oxygenate. Be sure to cool the wort before dumping it in the primary and pitch the yeast around 70F. Have fun cheers:)

Thanks! My pot only holds about 5 gallons so I'm just going to do a partial boil. In this case I'm only boiling the 1 gallon + 3.5 quarts I was soaking the grains in, correct?

Thanks! My pot only holds about 5 gallons so I'm just going to do a partial boil. In this case I'm only boiling the 1 gallon + 3.5 quarts I was soaking the grains in, correct?

Partial boil means less than 5 gallons. You can boil 3.5- 4 gallons in that pot. Add the gallon of wort + 2.5 to 3 gallons water / hops / LME as insrtucted and boil for the time required, Cool the wort and top up the fermenter to the 5 gallons with cold water, mix well and pitch yeast at proper temperature. Thats my plan & I`m sticking to it. Remember to sanitize everything. Cheers:tank: P.S. use all the ingredients for the 5 gallon batch.

Back