Ed Wort's Haus Ale...could I have missed the fermentation from 12 AM - 11 AM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayfro21

Reaction score
I finished mine last night around 8PM (1st AG), and pitched the Nottingham at around 78F. I had no airlock activity by the time I went to bed at around 12 (which I expected), but I still have no airlock activity now. The temp is right around 68 F, and I do notice a small krausen through my fermentation bucket at the top. My question is: could I have missed the fermentation from 12 AM - 11 AM, since I know that it ferments fast? My seal seems great on the bucket, so I don't think it is that. Just wondering how fast others that have brewed the Haus Ale fermented out? Thanks!

Jason

Jayfro21 said:
I finished mine last night around 8PM (1st AG), and pitched the Nottingham at around 78F. I had no airlock activity by the time I went to bed at around 12 (which I expected), but I still have no airlock activity now. The temp is right around 68 F, and I do notice a small krausen through my fermentation bucket at the top. My question is: could I have missed the fermentation from 12 AM - 11 AM, since I know that it ferments fast? My seal seems great on the bucket, so I don't think it is that. Just wondering how fast others that have brewed the Haus Ale fermented out? Thanks!

Jason
Did you miss it? No I doubt it. Is your bucket not sealed good? Yup..
I have one bucket that "seems" like it's tight but I NEVER see any bubbles in the lock and they all ferment out. So don't worry about it.
Give it a day and then if you REALLY need to know, crack the lid open enough to have a look in there. Other then that, leave it alone and enjoy a brew. :tank:

FSR402 said:
Did you miss it? No I doubt it. Is your bucket not sealed good? Yup..
I have one bucket that "seems" like it's tight but I NEVER see any bubbles in the lock and they all ferment out. So don't worry about it.
Give it a day and then if you REALLY need to know, crack the lid open enough to have a look in there. Other then that, leave it alone and enjoy a brew. :tank:

Yeah, the thing is this is only the 3rd brew I have done in this bucket, and the previous two I have had plenty of airlock activity. If it is anything, it is probably the hole the stopper goes into that is not sealing, I'll have to check that. Thanks!

Jason

So for some reason it took 24 hours to start, but now it is going like mad...not really sure why there was a slight krausen at the top earlier? Anyways, it is kicking a@@ right now, and we will see how it goes! Thanks for the input!

Jason

i actually just finished fermenting a batch of that and now its resting happily carbonating in bottles. my fermentation seemed slightly slow going at first as well, but i was not around it to check on it as much as i would have since its at my father in laws house. it did bubble though after a little bit and definitely finished at FG. i just bottled yesterday and im really excited to try this brew. cheers to edwort for creating this recipe, the grav samples were tasty!

This seems high to me.. have you pitched this high with Notty before and got clean results?

i pitched my notty into my batch of haus pale ale when it was around low-mid 80's. i wast proud of it, but it took forever to get my temps down, and i had to get to bed, so i did it and the yeasties had no problem working away, i've bottled that batch and it tasted great before i did.

Back