ECY 19 brettanomyces custersianus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcnewcp

Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck using brett cust by itself yet? I just got my hands on a bottle and wanted to see what others were doing with it. I'll probably end up doing something hoppy and pale to let the fruitiness shine.

Thanks, I've actually never seen this blog before. It doesn't appear he's done anything with custersianus, but it's still helpful, nonetheless.

Thanks, I've actually never seen this blog before. It doesn't appear he's done anything with custersianus, but it's still helpful, nonetheless.

I haven't (I'm the author of the blog), but I've seen custersianus pop up a lot lately and I'd like to brew something with it soon. I googled it and randomly ended up at this thread, where my blog is cited... weird, kind of cool moment, that.

Anyway, I'm curious, where did you get the Custersianus? Any luck brewing with it yet?

I did a pale ale with ECY19 in the fall. It came out really nice. I fermented warm around 75-78, produced a lot of fruity tropical notes. I kept the recipe simple to get a good idea of the flavor profile of that strain.

I got my jars directly from Princeton homebrew. I just happened to stop into the store, get lucky and bought the last two jars they had back in the summer.

Anyway, I'm curious, where did you get the Custersianus? Any luck brewing with it yet?

I just luckily saw some pop up on love2brew and snagged it along with bugcounty before they sold out. I haven't had the chance to use it yet, it's been relaxing in my fridge. I'll get to it within the week and I'm still planning on something hoppy and fruity.

I did a pale ale with ECY19 in the fall. It came out really nice. I fermented warm around 75-78, produced a lot of fruity tropical notes. I kept the recipe simple to get a good idea of the flavor profile of that strain.

How long did you let it ferment and did you bottle condition or keg? I'm torn because I want to drink it fresh and hoppy (kegged) but I usually like to let my brett bottle condition and evolve over time.

I got my jars directly from Princeton homebrew. I just happened to stop into the store, get lucky and bought the last two jars they had back in the summer.

Awesome, sounds pretty similar to Brett Trois, maybe. I'll be keeping my eye out for some.

How long did you let it ferment and did you bottle condition or keg? I'm torn because I want to drink it fresh and hoppy (kegged) but I usually like to let my brett bottle condition and evolve over time.

I let it ferment for two months then kegged. When i kegged it up i bottled 4 bombers to condition.

His blog was what initially got me interested in brewing sour/funky beers. About half of my batches are clean and the other half sour.

just picked up a vial of this. thinking this will be my first 100% Brett ale.

I'm assuming that a big starter is still required with Al's yeast.... as with WL's and Wyeast?

Back