ECY-08 and Saison Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotsumbeers

Reaction score
I have just brewed my first Saison using the East Coast Yeast 08. High fermentation temps seem to be the thing to do, so I just put it in the garage at about 85 to 90 deg.

In nine days I went from 1.049 to 1.002. The garage smelled of Saison and yeast all week. I am sure all is well. I was just curious if this seemed too fast? I keep reading about Saison yeast stalling out and taking forever to finish. Maybe not this strain? Any others with experience with this yeast? I did make a 2L starter.

No responses? No one has experience with this yeast? Looks like you're gonna have to send me some slurry and I'll let you know... ;)

There's one strain that stalls out and takes forever to finish, but others that don't, this must be a quicker one. 3711 goes fairly quick too. Of course having it at 85-90 degrees is going to make most anything ferment pretty quick. Let us know how it turns out!

I just did a Saison with this yeast, it took off with a vigorous fermentation almost within hours of pitching. I let it go in my garage (upper 70's) for 3 weeks, I tasted it and it was a little sweet so I moved it to a warmer spot. I haven't tasted it in the last week. I'll have to do that and report back. Did you make a starter?

You probably are not going to get a lot of responses because that yeast is hard to get. I live about 30 minutes away from Princeton Homebrew and have been checking their site often. When they get some yeast it sells out almost immediately.

In answer to your question, yes saison yeast can ferment out fst sometimes. I have had both 3711 and 3724 ferment down low in a week.

Yes, I made a 2L starter. This one took off quick too. Withing 24 hours it had a good thick kraeusen going, and the garage smelled like Saison.

A guy in my homebrew club gave this yeast away, he said he was done with Saisons, to another brewer who ended up leaving it in my car. I didn't realize it was in my car until the following afternoon when my wife found it. It was hot and I really did not expect much viability from it, but it went bonkers.

I will be washing this one and giving some away, so maybe we'll be getting more feedback. I like it, my hydro sample was great. Can't wait to bottle it up!

Back