EC1118 Still fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Daniel

Reaction score
I am new to making Cider and started two 6 gallon batches a little over 6 weeks ago from fresh, UV pasteurized cider. For batch 1 I added 4 lbs of white sugar and 2 lbs of brown sugar and used an ale yeast. For the second batch I added 8 lbs of white sugar and 2 lbs of brown sugar and used EC1118 yeast. I tried to match the sugar/ABV reading on the hydrometer to the alcohol tolerance of each yeast strain. ~11% for the ale yeast and ~18% for the EC1118.

Batch 1 stopped fermenting after 3-4 weeks. Little to no movement in "S" airlock

Batch 2 (EC1118) is still bubbling the airlock every couple minutes after 6 weeks.

For the first 2-3 weeks out Batch 2 was bubbling 3 times (every 10-15 seconds) per one of of batch 1. Both Batches started fermenting within 24 hours.

I have not taken any SG readings since starting as I am concerned about introducing oxygen at this point.

Does EC1118 usually ferment this long?

Also, the ale yeast batch turned a lighter color while the EC1118 batch stayed the original cider brown color. Do different yeasts alter the color?

In batch 2 you added 10lbs of sugar to the cider. That yeast is going to be busy a while. Not unusual for it to still be fermenting, given the circumstances. It is very important to take gravity readings before packaging. Open the fermenter, grab a sample with a wine thief, close it up--that should minimize O2 exposure.

I've used that yeast several times to make EdWort's Apfelwein, which is 5 gallons of apple juice plus a pound or two of sugar. It took a couple months to age properly.

A cider that's expected to hit 18% ABV may need some time to bulk age. You're going to get 6 gallons of rocket fuel if you don't give it time to mellow. Be patient.

Back