EC1118 & Seltzer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen a few threads of people having issues with EC1118 and seltzers. However, I was dead set on using a champagne yeast and EC1118 was all my shop had, so I gave it a shot. I thought that if I pitched 2 packs of yeast as well as 2 packs of the Omega Seltzer Nutrient that I'd be ok. I'm 48 hours post pitch and zero activity thus far.

This was 7.5 gallons of a 1.045 seltzer using 9lbs of Corn Sugar. Boiled for 15 min, added 2 packs of nutrient at flameout, oxygenated with pure O2, and pitched 2 packs of yeast.

72 hours with no activity is usually my panic point, so I'm getting there...

Questions...
1. Did I miss something here that caused the EC1118 to not start?
2. I have US-05 in my fridge. Will that do the job? Thinking of pitching that tonight.

Thanks.

Disregard!

The blow off tube that I put on the tank was a SMIDGE too big in diameter, as it was a bit loose on the hose barb. The jar I was using for the blowoff bucket pulled the blow off tube at an angle. Must have been leaking the positive pressure from where the tube was connected to the blow off cane because I opened it to go and add a packet of US-05 and the thing was fizzing away and churning inside.

I've used this blow off tube and the 1 gallon jug before and it worked fine. Something must have been a bit off though.

All good!

Back