Ebrewing and dyer switch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celtic_dude

Reaction score
So I have been trying to find an answer to my question but haven't been able to find one so I figured I would put in in a new thread.

I am wondering if it would be possible to make a control box to switch the power between the dryer and the control panel. Basically install a load center of some sort where the dryer outlet is now and either use 2 separate breakers to turn each item off/on. Or setup a contactor switch to go between them.

Also going to gfci to my control panel through a spa panel. Maybe I could modify the spa panel by adding the contactor there to make the switch.

My current dryer outlet is 4 wire which is great since I plan on running 220/110 in my control box.

Thanks for any input :)

Sure, it can be done easily. You just need two contractors and one 3 positions switch. Though I'm not sure if you can fit them in spa panel.

This might not be a cheaper option but look at generator panels that have the main breaker back feed on the bus bar. Some have a bracket that holds the handles of two breakers, one being the utility power the other being the generator power. It only allows one breaker to be on at a time. You could feed your dryer circuit into a small panel and then have one breaker feed your dryer & the adjacent breaker feed your rig. Voltage would only go to one or the other not both at any given time.

Sent from my EVO using Home Brew mobile app

But I guess you could get a 30 amp motor control switch that has three taps. When the switch is in one position the dryer gets power the other position the rig gets power. I'm not talking about the the three position switches I have seen people use here. You want a switch that has two line screws and four load screws it could be two or three position, usually used to control a motor circuit...still may not be the most cost effective but will fit in or on the side of your spa panel. Good luck

Sent from my EVO using Home Brew mobile app

So instead of adding a switch for the dryer line and control panel, I think what I am going to do is add a 2nd breaker in my spa panel and install 2 outlets as well in the spa panel. Then when I am brewing I can switch off the dryer breaker and flip on the control panel breaker. Anyone else go this route? Is it ok to install the sockets on the box itself?

Back