eBIAB Wiring - Need Cable with NEMA 14-60P Plug

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merkur

BJCP #B1441
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had my brewing space wired with a 14-60R outlet and 60 Amp GFCI breaker as I was going to go the 3 vessel route with multiple elements. I have since decided to go the eBIAB route and I am making up a control box for the system. I am looking for a 14-60P plug with cable attached but they appear to be hard to come by. They are available from Home Depot and others with a 14-50P (50 Amp) Plug as a "Range cord" but I have spent the last hour trying to source a similar wired 14-60P plug with 6' or so of cable.

I have two options. Either remove the 14-60R receptacle and replace it with a 14-50R and then I could easily buy a 'Range cord' to suit. The other option is to buy a length of SOOW 6-4 cable and wire it myself.

What are the recommendations from those more qualified than I? Now I have re-thought my brewery the current I will be pulling from it will only be 23 Amp (5500W @240V). Good quality wire and plugs and this sort of current are expensive and I want to do this once and do it right.

Paul

I would...

Change out the receptacle. $10.
Buy a 6/3 + 8/1 range cord $6 for 4’ up to $20 for 6’. Or try Craigslist/eBay/appliance repair shop.

Make sure the controller has a 30 amp breaker on it.

If the controller has an inlet or if you have to go any distance then buy an rv/marine/generator extension cord that has the male/female already molded into it.

Good input - thanks. So the NEMA 14-60R receptacle was installed by a licensed electrician when I thought I would need a lot more power for a three vessel brewery. A 50 Amp circuit would probably of been adequate but the 60 Amp service was only $70 more so I went with it in case I needed more power down the line. Think big! The line is protected by a 60 Amp GFCI in the panel which is about 20 feet away from the outlet.

If I now change the outlet from the 14-60R to a more common 14-50R then it seems that I should protect the wiring by putting 50 Amp breaker in my control box. I have tried to illustrate this in the diagram. Does this sound the safest way to proceed?

Paul

Attachments

• eBIAB Brewery Wiring.jpg
    eBIAB Brewery Wiring.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 32
I am not a licensed electrician but the problem I could foresee is everything downstream from the 60 amp breaker to the 50 amp breaker in control panel would be a weak point.

The 50 amp receptacle is only rated for 50 Amps and if the power cord from outlet to control panel is not rated for 60 amps you could be asking for trouble.

My recommendation would either be to downsize to a 50 amp gfci breaker or to buy a 70 amp, 4 circuit auxiliary panel for less than $20 and install 2 @ 30 amp breakers ( or a 50 and 30)in it for another $20. Then you have 2 separate gfci protected circuits to do with what you want.

I'm not a licensed electrician. Yes the 14-50r is a weakpoint in the system and wouldn't be to code. My mistake. It may be an acceptable risk for some, but code should be followed.

Last edited:
All good points. In considering this and consulting others, I believe the best approach is to leave the 60 Amp GFCI as-installed in the Breaker panel and the 14-60R outlet. All as installed by the electrician. Then I will use the 14-60P plug into my control box and add a 32 Amp Auber MCB breaker and contactor and an L6-30R receptacle.

That way everything from the breaker to the 32 Amp breaker is to code and rated for 60 Amps and everything downstream of the 30 Amp breaker is rated at 30 Amps.

Thanks for the advice. Can't be too careful with this stuff.

Paul

Last edited:
Back