eBIAB PID Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopFlatBrwr

Reaction score
I'm making the leap to electric brewing soon and was hoping some of you could double check my work as it's going to take a while to source all of the parts.

I'm setting up an electric kettle with a 2500W element which is powered off of UK mains (230V, 13A max). The circuit specs allow for an eventual upgrade to a 5500W element on US mains. The circuit is powered on/off with an illuminated maintained pushbutton switch. The element will also use an illuminated maintained pushbutton switch which will allow me to turn the system on without the element firing up. I'm using this dual volt/ammeter from ebay.

Anyone have any safety concerns, advice, or suggestions?

Thanks,
Adam

Circuit.jpg

Circuit Specs.jpg

That diagram looks great to me, with one small exception...
The placement of the ammeter will only measure the current going into the pid, which will be nearly nothing. If you we're hoping to measure the current for the element, or the whole system, you wold have to place the ammeter sensor before the wire split, essentIally between your fuse and the split going to each contractor.
I REALLY like that volt/ammeter. May have to pick one of those up for me.

I don't see any value from the meters. As long as your system is designed within the supply limits it does not give you any information that is necessary for your brewing. If your system requires more power than you have available then the meters will only give you an indication of impending failure.

That diagram looks great to me, with one small exception...
The placement of the ammeter will only measure the current going into the pid, which will be nearly nothing. If you we're hoping to measure the current for the element, or the whole system, you wold have to place the ammeter sensor before the wire split, essentIally between your fuse and the split going to each contractor.
I REALLY like that volt/ammeter. May have to pick one of those up for me.

Thanks for catching that. I've changed/added to the circuit so much I forgot to move the meter back before the first component!

I don't see any value from the meters. As long as your system is designed within the supply limits it does not give you any information that is necessary for your brewing. If your system requires more power than you have available then the meters will only give you an indication of impending failure.

Well aware of that. I'm just adding it for peace of mind and bling factor.

Back