Eating on the run - a bad idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
I know that I am guilty of always being in a hurry and catching my fast food fix via the drive thru window. (Then eating it on the way to my destination)

Well, according to my "Potty Humor" daily calendar it stated that "The average cars steering wheel has about twice as many germs than an average toilet seat" (Airplane and Greyhound restrooms excluded)

Dude, I think Im going to start enjoying my lunch on the ****ter from now on!

Steering wheels 'dirtier than toilets' - AOL Cars
-Me

The seat is a pretty inhospitable environment for germs. There is a reason it is made out of hard plastic with that shiny surface.

Don't get me started on the puffy toilet seats and the crochet covers. *blargh*

I would be far more worried about the germs in my food from Fast Food than my steering wheel.

Yeah, the guy sneezing into his open sores before wrapping your burger is probably putting germs out there that are killing the measley germs on your steering wheel! Nothing to worry about :D

Never thought about it. Haven't got sick from it either.

I remember growing up playing with all sorts of nasty stuff and not washing my hands very well. Never got sick.

I remember hearing recently that Americans are so germ obsessed anymore that we are actually making it worse because we sanitize too much and aren't exposed to the nasty germs, so we can't build a tolerance to them. Not sure how much fact is behind this, but there are higher cases of allergies, athsma (sp?), etc... then there were years ago.

Also the fact that we use anit-bacterial everything, so bacteria becomes resistant to the anti-bacterial agents, rendering them useless.

My immune system is like a tank. Every time I drive I'm feeding it wussie little fast food germs to get it's tolerance up!!!! :D

...I remember hearing recently that Americans are so germ obsessed anymore that we are actually making it worse because we sanitize too much and aren't exposed to the nasty germs, so we can't build a tolerance to them...

True that.

The sickest people I know are germophobes.

I sneezed twice in 2008.

I don't ever eat fast food anymore, anyway. OK, I'll go to KFC when I'm in a hurry and get all that grease on my fingers and touch the steering wheel and lick it clean. You happy now? Knowing my most intimate fast food secrets?

Whatever, it strengthens my immune system.

True that.

The sickest people I know are germophobes.

I sneezed twice in 2008.

Ditto to this. People trying to protect themselves from everything are the ones that end up sick. My niece is not allowed to do/touch anything. She has asthma and is sick every week. My son (only 8 months but still) was taken around people since he was 3 days old and we don't rush to boil and scrub his toys when they fall on the floor, (At home, in public yes we do clean them) he's never been sick yet. Knock on wood

Never thought about it. Haven't got sick from it either.

I remember growing up playing with all sorts of nasty stuff and not washing my hands very well. Never got sick.

I remember hearing recently that Americans are so germ obsessed anymore that we are actually making it worse because we sanitize too much and aren't exposed to the nasty germs, so we can't build a tolerance to them. Not sure how much fact is behind this, but there are higher cases of allergies, athsma (sp?), etc... then there were years ago.

Yep, there is also some evidence floating around that asthma and allergies are higher in first-world countries than third-world countries because of our hygine and sanitation. We got rid of a lot of the worms and parisites that humans evolved with in order to get rid of the few that made us sick, and now our immune systems are bored.... Time to start attacking itself!!!

(I will try and find the research article if anyone is interested later)

This even goes so far as I have heard of people with bad allergies driving down to Mexico to get infected with ascarid worms to try and cut symptoms...

Back