Eating ham. Raw ham.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baron von BeeGee

Beer Bully
Reaction score
Dry cured, of course :cool:

I'm totally obsessed with serrano/Iberico ham from Spain which is basically prosciutto but better if you're not familiar with it. It's a bit saltier which works for a Southern boy raised on country hams. However, I'm not exactly obsessed with the price tag of ~$200-250 for an 8kg ham (basically a lower quality non-Iberico...that would be more like $750-1200 :gasp: ). I could get it cheaper in Spain, but you can't import it to the US without a special license.

So, the question is, has anybody ever bought a dry-cured country ham that was aged in the 10-12 month range and eaten it 'raw' like serrano ham/prosciutto? It's almost identical in terms of process with the salting/length of salting/spices being the main differences. Looks like it should be safe, but I don't know how the flavors would be. I'm pretty tempted because the Cadillac of aged country ham can be had for ~$75/ham, probably others cheaper, and I have pretty good health insurance.

I think I saw a news story about somebody who is making hams this way in the US. I can't remember anything more about it other than it sounded awesome. If I can find any in my area, I won't hesitate to give it a try.

Oh, just FYI...chicken doesn't age well like ham.

Hrm, can't say I have tried that raw. However I have made my own Dry cured loin. They call it Lonzino. In fact I have one hanging next to a Salami in the basement.

I can't say I'd really see an issue with eating it raw. It is indeed pretty similar in the process. However, you may have too high a moisture content in the ham to make it palatable raw.

Oh man, I love hamon Serrano, or even better, Presunto from Portugal which is even drier than the Spanish version (which is drier than Proscuitto). I've been able to pick up Presunto in Newark. They have a nice revitalizing Portuguese neighboorhood. I don't know if any of the stores there do mail order. I too have wondered if you could just slice up a Southern ham like the above hams.

Brian, I need to pick your brain sometime on salamis and Lonzino. Both are are my to do list sometime - preferably soon. Eventually I'd like to do a whole ham, but figured doing a loin would be a good way to start. I'm going to be buying a local hog for butchering soon (in addition to the one for the pig roast) and might try to do a little loin, maybe a bacon - the rest will go in the freezer. I am going to reserve the picnic for fresh sausage making. If you are interested in local pork let me know and I'll hook you up with my source.

pjj2ba said:
Brian, I need to pick your brain sometime on salamis and Lonzino. Both are are my to do list sometime - preferably soon. Eventually I'd like to do a whole ham, but figured doing a loin would be a good way to start. I'm going to be buying a local hog for butchering soon (in addition to the one for the pig roast) and might try to do a little loin, maybe a bacon - the rest will go in the freezer. I am going to reserve the picnic for fresh sausage making. If you are interested in local pork let me know and I'll hook you up with my source.

Cool man. Starting with a fairly quick maturing Lonzino is the easy (and tasty) route to go. The best resource online ever: salami. Most of the technique I gleaned from there. The absolute hardest part is getting the humidity right. Plus the incubation phase is a little tricky...all of the stuff is an art form that is for sure. Best place I have found for supplies (especially the cultures and casings): www.butcher-packer.com.

I would absolutely LOVE to be hooked up with the local pork source. (PS, no word on the malt yet)

Eat it, eat it, eat it. Tasty stuff, much more tender than I thought it would be. I really don't know if it is "safe", but it's tasty enough that I really don't care.

Guys- can't access the site:( How would one go about aging a ham for so long?:confused:

ScubaSteve said:
Guys- can't access the site:( How would one go about aging a ham for so long?:confused:

The basic process used is right off the kill, once the hams are freed, they are chilled down and salted. Then it is a matter of experience to put up the ham in the right humidity and temperature for the proper amount of time. Here is a great overview:

Parma Ham

In Germany they eat fresh ground pork. They spread it on hard rolls and put onions on it and eat it for breakfast. It's called Mett. Pretty tasty.

Yeah, I remember growing up my mom gave me raw hamburger with onions, etc. on it. Probably not the wisest thing to do, but tasty. Definitely tasty.

ScubaSteve said:
Yeah, I remember growing up my mom gave me raw hamburger with onions, etc. on it. Probably not the wisest thing to do, but tasty. Definitely tasty.

I eat quite a bit of raw meats. The real key is it must be absolutely fresh. The fresher the better. One of my favorite dishes is to use Venison backstrap in the place of beef for 'Steak Tartare'. Served up with a nice raw egg yolk. Mmmmm. Now that I am raising some Muscovy ducks, I have plans for a Duck breast Carpaccio. As I make these, hopefully I'll be able to take pics and post.

EdWort said:
In Germany they eat fresh ground pork. They spread it on hard rolls and put onions on it and eat it for breakfast. It's called Mett. Pretty tasty.

I just saw a show where they were eating fresh, raw pork in China. Looked pretty good actually. Man the Mett sounds great served like that! Never had it myself, but I would certainly try it. I also just saw a show where the guy was in Taiwan in the mountains. He was eating (among other things) deep fried Bees and another dish that was fresh pork that had been rubbed in salt and then fermented in a jar! The guy said it was like eating Pork Sauerkraut!

olllllo said:
I would expect nothing less from the Mount Olympus of Pork.

I actually said that out loud because I cannot fathom ever uttering that combination of words again.

roflmao ;D

Back