Easy to use, turnkey, compact, semi-automated 10 gallon batch electric all grain brewing system?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheInnKeeper

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
New to the forum today, thanks in advance(waiting for my supporter badge)

Looking to buy an super easy to use, rolling, vertically stored & operated, semi-automated 10 gallon batch electric all grain brewing system that can ideally be upgraded\modified over time.

Right now I'm leaning heavily towards the Blichman BrewEasy™ 10 gallon electric system, any other system I'm maybe not aware of that meets the criteria out there?

I mostly brew Ales, IPA's and stouts no plans to brew barely wine or anything crazy like that.

I currently have a Catalyst for 5 gallon batches but hope to add one 13 Gallon Fermzilla to accommodate +10gal brews

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Heyo. So your list of requirements is going to be a little difficult to fulfil everything. It kind of reminds me of a 'pick two' venn diagram. What I mean by that... If you want something turnkey and easy to use - It might not be upgradeable in the future. See: something like the Anvil Foundry.

But - I get what you're after. The Brew Easy is probably a good consideration. I have the Brew Commander that comes with it, and like it a lot.

A recommendation I have that hits a few points... Easy to use, fairly compact, kind of semi automated (maybe?), and can be upgraded or modified to your liking over time : I recommend doing a little research and putting together a single vessel electric brew in a bag rig. You'll need to figure out exactly what you want included, but here is a good place to look at. There's tons of custom systems you can piece together on this website.

https://www.highgravitybrew.com/store/pc/Brewing-Systems-c269.htm
Me, personally, I followed Bobby from Brewhardware's video here, and designed my own based on what he has. It's been a pleasure to use so far:

My set up looks something like this:

20 Gallon Spike Kettle
Blichmann Brewcommander controller 240v
20 gallon blichmann boilcoil
Riptide pump w/ tubing and quick disconnects from brewhardware
Wilserbag w/ hoist mounted above my kettle

It's super simple to use, and cleanup is a breeze. Piece mealing it together might save you a few bucks compared to if you bought a pre-assembled package as well. It's not turnkey out of the box, but doesn't really require too much know how to set up. I'm sure if you bought what I have from a vendor like Brewhardware or High Gravity, they would be able to assist with punching holes in a kettle for a little labor cost too if you're not sure of your skills in that area.

I have mine sitting on small workbench cabinet on casters, so it's mobile if I need it. The Brewcommander allows automation of mashing and boiling, but does require some tinkering with ramp times and stuff. See the Brewcommander thread on this forum for more info on that.

My 2 cents. Hope this helps!

price range is the biggest factor in my opinion. there are perpetual listings by members trying to sell their rigs here. there are also all in one systems for somewhat cheap. it all depends on how much cheese you wanna drop.

Gotta at least look at the Brewzilla 65L. Great machine for the price point and small upgrades like whirlpool arms, cfc, etc. are fairly minimal.

First off thanks everyone for the replies

I should have been more specific, when I said "turn key" and "automatic" I was using those words very loosely.......I meant in comparison to using a traditional home brewing kit you'd get from one of the brew shops. I'm not looking for a "grainfather" type "machine", I still want to be very hands on with brewing.

Looking to spend a <1000$ in the first round(minus 10 gal batch fermenter), and then build the system up over the next 1-2 years, this is the reason I liked the Blichman BrewEasy as I can buy the kettle, cart, commander\controller, 220v coil and pump for less than 2000$ and it'll be a huge upgrade to my current add-hoc setup.

The Spike stuff is really cool too but its just a little bit out of budget, I like the "vertical" setup of the Blichman system and the fact that I can buy it in parts and slowly upgrade to a really capable system.

I think I answered my own question, its really down to Spike\Blichman and budget

Thanks again everyone, this forum is an amazing resource.

I guess I was under the impression that they did more than that, I like the concept but seemed like i was kind of locking myself into that system since there was so much integration.

Is the Grainfather G70 for 10gal batches, seems like its pretty large.......might be outside my budget but it sure does look slick.

Whats the disadvantages to a system like that versus a Spike\BrewEasy setup?

I built my own system based off the the BrewEasy and it's great. I can crank out a batch in about 4 hours, sometimes a bit less if I'm good with cleaning during the brew day.

Fantastic machine for the POS...i love mine and sorry I didn't/couldn't buy it sooner. Brew day is a breeze and cleanup was even easier!

THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!

I just pulled the trigger on the BrewZilla 65L Fermzilla 13gal from MoreBeer, no one here sells them locally

Sure I would have loved a full blown Spike\Blichman but I'm pretty sure my fiancé would left me...........

Last edited:
I’ve had the BZ65 for 12 months after upgrading from the smaller version. No regrets at all, fantastic machine, easy to use but you still feel like you’re getting your hands dirty if you know what I mean. And it’s cheap and easy to upgrade with whirlpool arms etc, even rigging up you’re own gear. In my opinion a good investment, enjoy :rock:

I’ve had the BZ65 for 12 months after upgrading from the smaller version. No regrets at all, fantastic machine, easy to use but you still feel like you’re getting your hands dirty if you know what I mean. And it’s cheap and easy to upgrade with whirlpool arms etc, even rigging up you’re own gear. In my opinion a good investment, enjoy :rock:

good to hear I am stoked for my first brew in it!

First off thanks everyone for the replies

I should have been more specific, when I said "turn key" and "automatic" I was using those words very loosely.......I meant in comparison to using a traditional home brewing kit you'd get from one of the brew shops. I'm not looking for a "grainfather" type "machine", I still want to be very hands on with brewing.

Looking to spend a <1000$ in the first round(minus 10 gal batch fermenter), and then build the system up over the next 1-2 years, this is the reason I liked the Blichman BrewEasy as I can buy the kettle, cart, commander\controller, 220v coil and pump for less than 2000$ and it'll be a huge upgrade to my current add-hoc setup.

The Spike stuff is really cool too but its just a little bit out of budget, I like the "vertical" setup of the Blichman system and the fact that I can buy it in parts and slowly upgrade to a really capable system.

I think I answered my own question, its really down to Spike\Blichman and budget

Thanks again everyone, this forum is an amazing resource.
The spike solo is gonna be 20% off soon. I'd look at that.
The only thing that I don't like about the Blichmann brew easy is the proprietary fittings/gaskets.
I've read users having issues with flow in both systems too btw

Back