Easy SNPA Instructions....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon

Reaction score
OK ready???

Brew a Helles Munich Lager (Mensch recipe).

Take the 2nd runnings of that grain bill and fortify it with3 lbs DME and 2 oz of cascade hops, and WL irish ale yeast.

( This actually made an incredibly floral and beautiful beer....what? no, this is not the SNPA, stay tuned)

When bottling that batch, manage to run out of caps and in a rushed decision, leave the last 1/4 of it in the secondary, and pour the next brew onto that fermented wort and irish ale yeast.........

Next brew: Meant to be a session brew - 6 lbs pale DME, 2 oz cascade hops.

Simple enough, right? and I got a great Lager and floral ale as kind of a bonus!

No joke, it is SNPA!!..........

Too bad I am not all that fond of SNPA. Oh well, SWMBO is Farging Thrilled:rolleyes:

I am... lost... I think.

I think you said, in cliff notes: You had a few batches go awry. The latest batch you dumped onto a gallon of beer/irish ale yeast from the other screwed up batch. And the result was, something... like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale?

Craziness.

The only batch I have had go awry was in no way related to any mentioned here.

Helles Munich - a great hit
Floral Ale - Even Better
Sorta Sierra Mutt - Great if you like SNPA

So...no, screwed up or awry never entered this picture.

I just thought it was funny because I could never ever re-create it.

I

Whoah, calm down there killer. I didn't mean to imply you made $hitty beer by any means.

I was literally just trying to figure out what you wrote b/c it was kind of scatterbrained. Chronological, but scatterbrained for me...

Anyway, I stand by my comment regarding batches 2 and 3... Batch 2 you ran out of bottle caps and decided to say heck with the rest of the batch, batch 3 you literally dumped a beer you designed onto another 1.25g of fermented beer. I would have to say that none of that was in your original plan, and thus, the term "awry". No offense meant, but you didn't brew 3 beers without a hitch that turned out great. Or else you wouldn't have been making the post...

I'm truly glad that all 3 beers turned out great, I meant no offense. Better lucky than good sometimes! :)

Right on my friend.

I considered the 2 batches I ended up mixing to be similar enough for no ill effects, otherwise I would have figured something else out.

Yes it did take some improvisation.

I'm glad that you two sorted this out because after I read the OP I was very confused.

Glad to hear that everything turned out well though (if you like SNPA that is).

So you basically brewed a Helles, then you did a partigyle brew (and came up with what sounds like a nice session beer in itself). Then like an olde style porter maker, you brewed another session beer and (accidently) added that to 1/2 of the partigyle...

And ended up with 3 drinkable beers? (Although I'm not a big snpa fan either.) And managed to make SWMBO happy in one fell swoop?

I bow before you're greatness. :D

You're either the King Midas or Then Rainman of Brewing, I haven't quite figured out which. But either way you rock! :mug:

Revvy said:
So have you figured out a recipe for the Floral Ale that doesn't require making a Helles? If you do, I'd like it.

Well, it would have to be a PM I guess.

2 lbs Belgian Pilsen
.5 lbs Dextrine
.25 lbs Munich Malt

3 lbs Extra light DME

Actually I used 3 oz Cascade. 20 min, 10 min, 5 min, (1 oz each)

White labs Irish ale yeast

Mash grains at 154F for 45 minutes in 1.5 gallons or so of water.

Strain and boil 30 minutes. Add the DME at the 15 minute mark, between the first and second hop additions. Top up to 5 us gallons.

I added the hops so late, because I had just read Jamil's article on late addition hops. It really made a difference. Not grassy, but very floral.

I also think that the yeast was critical to the end result.

Back