Easy Extract Belgian Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AR-Josh

Reaction score
I've made an easy belgian wit before.

6 lbs wheat dme, enough hops to give some bitter, bitter orange peel, and obliterated coriander. Usually finishes at 1.014 with Wy3944.

I was thinking about making a modification...Drop 1 lb of the dme and substitute 1 lb of orange blossom honey.

Thoughts? I was going for something with a lower finishing gravity but still has that classic wit flavor.

The honey is going to ferment out completely, so expect a slightly drier beer. If youre looking to get some honey flavor, add it at flameout or even post boil. If you boil the honey you will drive off alot of the aromatics.

You might want to consider a small addition of honey malt instead.

So maybe using corn sugar would be just as good. I was looking for a thinner wit style beer. Maybe instead I do 3 lbs wheat dme, 2 lbs pils dme, and 1 lb corn sugar or honey. I'm not looking to impart much flavor or a honey flavor as I am to dry out the final product a bit. That's what I'm looking for feedback on doing. Is it even a good ideas? Does anyone think it will suck?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The honey will dry it out, but I think there are cheaper ways to do it than a pound of honey. Id probably just go with a lb of table sugar and mash lower.

As to whether its advisable, not sure. My wits all end up in the teens Its not a real complex beer and I wonder if the bitterness from the peel and coriander would be emphasized.

Back