Belgian Dark Strong Ale Easy Chimay Blue clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used WLP500 and kept it around 68 in the swamp cooler for about 7 days. Never saw a crazy active fermentation like I have for other Belgians I've done, so I let it free rise to 71 over two days and took a gravity reading after the airlock activity stopped.

The banana taste has mellowed considerably and is now becoming more complex. Gonna be tough to wait to drink these suckers.

Hi,

I am new to this forum and brewing. Chimay Blue have been my favourite beer for many years and I have now reached the stage where I want to try and make my own. Reading this loooong thread with enthusiasm but just have one question. It says 60 minutes at the Hallertauer. Does this mean that the pellets are boiling for the whole 60 minutes or just added the last minute of the boil?

Thanks for any feedback.

I am going to use recipe in post #70 :). I will post back later once I have this up and running :)

60 min means your boiling them for the whole 60 min. Good luck this one turns out pretty good!

I can now get all from my local store, except for 2 things. Does anyone have recommendations for useful substitutes ?

Northern Brewer LME - Munich
dried wine yeast

The wine yeast was used as nutrient, so whatever you normally use would be fine. I don't have a suggestion on the LME that wouldn't involve increasing the amount of grain. Hopefully someone else will chime in on that.

Bottled my first attempt at this a few days ago - wow! Uncarbed tasted incredible - cannot wait to taste in 2-3 weeks! Thanks for the recipe...

Have now finally got all the ingredients (including a few substitutes) and ready to try this recipe for the first time. Did a 2 liter yeast starter with 200 grams of spray malt and 1 tube of WLP500 liquid yeast. Nothing happened for the first 2,5 days and I was getting a bit worried. I remember others saying nothing happened for 3 days so I was still crossing my fingers. Then suddently it started working and I was delighted :)

Then yesterday I cooked up the batch and after cooling it, I added the yeast starter. A few hours later it already started bubbeling. So happy that I did not have any problems with this as many others in this thread. I went out for a few hours and when I came home there was beer all around my fermenter. I am using a 30liter plastic fermenter. While I was out the fermenting had really kicked off and created so much foam in the fermenter and because the foam was full of sediments, the sediments had gone into the waterlock and eventually blocked it, with a result that you can just imagine. The lid had completely deformed and almost exploded of and beer and foam was lying around the fermenter. The fermentation was still going on and bubbeling through the foam. I quickly arranged a second fermenter and devided the batch in 2. I tried to be really hygienic and disinfecting everything, but I hope I havnt introduced bacterias to the batch. I will have to cross my fingers again on that one :)

I am really exited about this. If I get anywhere near the original chimay blue with all my substitutes, I will be doing this again...and again....and again :)

To be continued :)

Sorry for using metric. I live in Europe :)

Bottled my first batch of this 3 weeks ago, tried last night alongside an actual Chimay Blue with my brewing buddy. Overall really subtle differences, that would probably be hard to tell if I didn't know which was which - homebrew color was slightly darker, carbonation was slightly less (needs more time probably given it's 8+%), the classic Belgian quad Chimay Blue taste wasn't quite as strong in mine (might come along with age?), but the malt taste was actually slightly more complex - and better tasting - for mine than the actual version. Awesome recipe!

For what it's worth, tried another bottle New Years Eve, same taste as below. I got distracted chatting with friends and family, and the glass warmed some over 20 minutes - when finishing the 2nd half of the glass, WOW - that classic Chimay Blue flavor was there... Lesson learned - I guess I'm drinking my beer a bit too cold!

Bottled my first batch of this 3 weeks ago, tried last night alongside an actual Chimay Blue with my brewing buddy. Overall really subtle differences, that would probably be hard to tell if I didn't know which was which - homebrew color was slightly darker, carbonation was slightly less (needs more time probably given it's 8+%), the classic Belgian quad Chimay Blue taste wasn't quite as strong in mine (might come along with age?), but the malt taste was actually slightly more complex - and better tasting - for mine than the actual version. Awesome recipe!

I brewed fattyliver's version, bottled in September and it is really tasting good now. It was my first time using WLP500 but I love how fruity this strain is at higher temps. I'm getting big hints of dried apricot, raisin, and a hint overripe banana and clove. About half of the bottles are gone now, and I really wish I would have waited to drink them. I'm rebrewing this soon. Cheers.

Have just bottled my first attempt with this recipe. Looks, smells and tastes already close enough, even with a few substitutes that was all I could get here in Norway :)

Cant wait to try this out during spring time and summer :) Will keep you posted.

Hello all, my first post. I've tried my hand at brewing this beer, although due to some limitations at the LHBS I had to use WLP530 instead of WLP500. That yeast is a workhorse and got my OG of 1.083 to a stable SG of 1.014 at Day 18. I racked to a secondary and have it in my basement hovering around 70 degrees. My question is - since I racked to a secondary, should I add some yeast to the bottling bucket when bottling? Or add some champagne yeast? Some posters above mentioned adding champagne yeast, but I haven't heard any outcomes.

I'm not very knowledgable in the brewing mechanics yet (been reading a lot and learning a lot from this site and other sources though). It's hard for me to grasp what should be done with a lot of different info/recipes out there. The all-grain Chimay Blue clone recipe on this forum says to add fresh yeast into the secondary 3 days before bottling. On the other hand, the Candi Syrup Inc. recipe mentions nothing about adding more yeast, nor do many of the recipes here.

So, I'm kinda lost in the woods here. I'm not overly concerned with the outcome - in my experience, beer is very resilient and pretty hard to screw up. All the brewing I've done up to this point has been pretty lax in terms of procedure, and I've always come out with good to really good beers. I've never cloned before, so I just want to try to get the recipe down right to something close to a Belgian Quad (probably not too much like Chimay since I had to use a different yeast, but close enough for my unrefined palate).

Also, here is a pic of my brew on the right (got a Bavarian Hefeweizen on the left that I'm also brewing simultaneously). It started out VERY sweet during the first 2 weeks in the primary, now that sweetness has mellowed out and it now has a pretty strong alcohol profile that I'm predicting will mellow out with age. Cheers!

5khCIJI.jpg

Maybe I just didn't dislike the bitterness but I finished this recipe in 6 weeks and was pleased with the results. I did 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary and 2 for priming. I see what people are saying about the harshness of the ABV flavor it is definitely there but I don't really think it makes the beer taste bad just different. If you have the patience you might as well wait but it is still very good early.

If you can save as much of this as possible, the fattyliver version really hits its stride at the 2 year mark. It went from pretty good to thinking its one of the best beers I've made. It ages really well. Really well. I still should have at least a dozen bottles left. It is about time to make another quad at some point.

This sure has been a popular recipe thread. But who can resist wanting to make a Chimay Blue clone, especially when it has the word “easy” attached to the title. I don’t know if anyone’s still following this discussion, but thought I would share my go at this beer.

As for me, I’m a “new-oldy,” a word I’ve just coined to describe someone who brewed beer years ago (more than 20 in my case, all using extracts, specialty grains, etc—never got into the all-grain business at that time) and has just started back into it. I still had all the gear in the basement and just needed to clean it and pick up ingredients from my local brew supply store. The first beer I made, two weeks ago, was an Oatmeal Stout from a Best Brewer’s kit. It’s now sitting in a secondary carboy waiting another couple of weeks before bottling.

This Chimay Blue is thus my second recent effort. I’ve followed the OP recipe fairly closely, even down to using the Lyle’s syrup (which set me back $9 for two small jars, yikes—more on that later). I did increase the extract quantities, adding 3.3 lbs of Munich LME (since that’s how it’s sold locally) and 5 lbs of Amber DME—using an extra lb over the OP recipe because a few posters have said it needed the added oomph (also Fattyliver’s popular version also increases the extract in order to get a target OG of 1.090 (though he uses 6 lbs of LME which is roughly equal to 5 lbs of DME, or so I’ve read). I also added two teaspoons of Fermaid (a yeast nutrient) instead of the wine yeast and I used ½ tsp of Irish moss instead of the Whirlflock tablets (same effect according to my local shop guy). After getting it all done up and into the primary, with cold water to bring it to the 5 gallon mark , I got a pretty surprising OG of 1.096; and the wort tasted quite good, sweet but flavourful.

As for the fancy (and pricey) syrup, you can apparently make your own quite easily with a bit of sugar and a food acid (like lemon juice)—many recipes online. I’ll do that next time. Or I will use a pound of amber Belgian candi sugar (as Fattyliver did). Or, even better, you can make Belgian candi sugar and syrup too in a process similar to making Lyle’s syrup. That is most likely what I will do next time, cheap bastard that I am.

In fact, my next brew is going to be a Ginger Saison (taken from “Extreme Brewing” by Sam Calagione). That beer looks fantastic, and should be nice to have ready for the spring and early summer. It also calls for light Belgian candi sugar so I will get my chance to make my own and use it there.

On a final sweet note: I’d appreciate any comments or advice about the sugar adjuncts in particular to this type of beer recipe (strong ales, dark Belgians, etc) : what have you had experience with or what has worked well for you? How much of a difference does a pound of any kind of sugar actually make in a five gallon batch?

I made this around thanksgiving 2014, have 3 bottles left - they definitely get better with age! Really need to make another batch of this...

Its been over a year since I tried this recipe but I can tell you that it was good, especially after around 6 months. It was so good that I am now about to try it again.

My original concerns was that I live in Norway (Europe) and was not able to get all of the recommended ingredients. I had to use other things, but it still ended up very close to the real thing. Close enough anyway :)

Happy brewing.

Found a few bottles of this I had forgotten about for 2+ years... It blew me away. So good. But how can I wait another 2 years?

Forgive me for not wanting to go through 7 years and 26 pages of posts on this, but is there an all-grain version of this recipe that comes anywhere close to the original?

Back