Easy All Grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tndave

Reaction score
Wouldn't this method be ok to do an all grain brew? I don't see what the difference would be by using a cooler with slotted or drilled pipe, except it might be easier to control temps with a cooler...is that all? Am I missing something?

Deathbrewer's methods are tried, tested, and successful for many brewers here. Go for it and follow his lead if that is the method that best suits your circumstances.

In an all-grain method, you need to have a way to sparge the grain. A cooler is simple and one of the easiest ways to do that.
mark
Beer Diary...

Just be aware that that thread is partial mashing. it's a mix between All Grain and extract. You could do the whole recipe that way but would need a larger pot for larger grain bill. A complete AG grain will be between ~10-15lbs of grain.

Just be aware that that thread is partial mashing. it's a mix between All Grain and extract. You could do the whole recipe that way but would need a larger pot for larger grain bill. A complete AG grain will be between ~10-15lbs of grain.

Oop! Yes! What he said! Sorry, I wasn't paying due attention to the AG aspect of the OP

Wouldn't this method be ok to do an all grain brew? I don't see what the difference would be by using a cooler with slotted or drilled pipe, except it might be easier to control temps with a cooler...is that all? Am I missing something?

Nope, you're missing very little.

First: As someone else pointed out, these instructions are for partial mash. However, last weekend I followed his instructions and ended up with a smaller (4 gallon) batch of all-grain. I figure I should be able to add another pound or two o' grain and get 5-gallon batches while still having everything fit on my stove.

Second: DB's gotAG instructions too.:mug:

I use DB's stove top PM method and brewed a Hobgoblin clone this weekend using 8.2lb of grain and 3lb of DME. IMO much more grain might get difficult as the bag of wet grain gets to be more and more of a pain. It works pretty well (low 70%) however not spilling any wort gets harder and harder. I really like the method and would recommend it but my next step is a 7 or 10 gallon MLT in the kitchen. This way I can mash and sparge with hopefully spilling nothing. Not trying to discourage using this but with 11-12lb of grain it would get difficult. By the way, my first PM was pale ale using ~7lb grain and 3lb DME and it is FANTASTIC, as good or better than the commercial I was cloning so using DME won't hurt you necessarily.

I use DB's method for smaller AG batches of 3 gallons. 5 gal. pot, with a simple batch sparge.

It's the same method as the PG batch, except your temperatures and water volumes have to be exact.

Back