Easy all-grain yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been reluctant to buy DME for starters as the LHB shops charge between $4 - $5 a lb. This averages out to about a $1 per litre - not bad I guess. I can buy a sack of grain for $37 ($0.75/lb) and that cuts my cost to about $0.30 per litre which over time, is a nice savings.

It's super easy and in a nutshell, just add 350 grams of grain to 2 litres of water - mash in a small beverage cooler. I suppose you could even throw the mash in an oven safe kettle in the oven @ 140 or so.

All you need is:

350 grams of 2-row
Small cooler
2 litres of 155F water.

I add kettle full of boiling water to my cooler while I measure out water to pre-heat it.

photo (5).jpg

Dump out the pre-heat water and add in your measured 2 litres of strike water. 2 litres @ 155F will net you a 150 mash temp with 350 grams of grain.

photo (2).jpg

I use a simple paint strainer bag and just pull it out after the mash. Give it a good squeeze and you'll have almost exactly what you started with.

photo (3).jpg

Back