easter beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen a recipe using skittles which I believe even did well in competition... I'll see if I can find it :)

emjay said:
I've seen a recipe using skittles which I believe even did well in competition... I'll see if I can find it :)

Hmmm... that sound pretty good. I put um on my popcorn at the movies.

With credit to Devon G. from my homebrew club (hopefully he doesn't mind!) I'll just put the process which can probably be adapted to jelly beans, but you'd probably want to use ones that have assorted flavors rather than just "sugar"... and you'll probably want to leave any black ones out!

Skittlebrau

"I used 2 of the theater sized bags of skittles in a 3.5 gallon batch. I think they are 140g each because my notes say I used 280g total. After trial and error, I found this amount gave a hint of Skittle flavor without being overpowering so 3 bags (420g) would probably do fine in 5 gallons.

Dissolve the skittles in 1.5 gallons of hot, but not boiling, water and leave it in the fridge over night. the next day, skim the oil off the top (putting in the freezer for a while can help). Reheat, don't boil, and repeat the cool and skimming process. After two skimmings, I found enough oil was removed to eliminate negative effects on the beer like oily mouth feel and poor head retention. You now have skittle water that only needs to be sanitized and added to your fermenter.

That is the key process to making skittles work as a fermentable, how you use them is up to you. They probably go great in a lot of beer styles. What I entered in SOAB was a mild english pale ale using the Amsterdam whitbread yeast because I thought the fruity esters it produces would complement the aroma of the skittles.

Here's some tips, instead of yammering on... - add the skittle water near the end of primary fermentation to keep aroma from blowing off - remember, somewhere in your process your adding an extra 1.5 gallons of skittle water... leave room for it (this could effect your recipe i.e. concentrated ferment to start) - extract value for your brewing calculations is approx 1.039 - do not boil the skittle water - do not skip the oil removal step, it will ruin the beer - it took me 3 batches to get right, so maybe start small."

Back