Easily, the biggest mess I have ever made.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arturo7

Reaction score
So, I thought I was cool doing a decoction mash...

In reality, I was struggling to maintain mash temp in my new, not yet insulated mash tun. The mash was already at 2.0 w/g after a couple earlier infusions.

As I was dumping the decocted mash back into the tun I lost my grip on the pot and sent a gallon or so of 200 deg wort and grains flying. The resultant spew covered most of the kitchen floor and a portion of the dining room as well. And yes, it looked as if the place was covered with vomit.

On the base board, on the cabinets, on the dishwasher, on and under the stove, on the trash can, table and chair legs...

With paper towels and a wet vac I was able to get most of it pretty quick so I could continue brewing. However, the floor was quite sticky. I had removed my shoes and was walking around in tube socks. Whenever I stood in one place for more than a few seconds there was a nice pffffffffp sound when I lifted my foot.

After everything was in the fermenter I mopped up. The incident probably added an hour or so to the brew day. Post boil gravity was 1.039, the target was 1.044. But hey, at the end of the day, I still made beer.

;)

Now you know why I brew in the garage. I'd never hear the end of it if I did something like that in the house.

No pics, I was in panic mode. Didn't think about recording the incident until it was cleaned up. The g/f snapped a couple of me mopping up afterwords. Nobody wants to see that...

I just made a mess myself an hour or so ago.. Protip: don't cut big holes in grain bags and keep in mind static electricity.
aovytc.jpg

Back