Easiest way to CAUSE chill haze? Plus other Q's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzeWuzze

I Love DIY
Reaction score
So, for those familiar i made up a recipe to replicate McMenamins Ruby Ale thats pretty famous out here in Portland for a friend for new years. All together i think i nailed it, everything tasted perfect, the issue i had in the end is it is TOO clear...now that I am making this for myself i want to try to get it spot on and the easiest way i can think to get this haze is to just force a chill haze.

So i have a few questions.

Whats the easiest way to cause chill haze?
-Dont add whirlfloc/irish moss?
-Do a no chill and let it cool down overnight?
-Add more wheat? (The existing recipe is already 16%)
-Will leaving the protein behind to cause this haze effect the taste of the beer?

This is what the commercial example looks like
thumb_600.jpg

Mine came out almost exactly the color, but a bit lighter because it was so clear and had nothing diffusing the color in solution to make it look more colorful. When i shook the keg a bit it looked more like this. I wish i had a picture of mine but its all gone.

I would think mixing in a couple fist fulls of flaked wheat or oats right before mash out. That would give you unconverted starches and proteins to cause the chill haze.

Chill/protein haze doesn't affect flavor.

I would think mixing in a couple fist fulls of flaked wheat or oats right before mash out. That would give you unconverted starches and proteins to cause the chill haze.

Chill/protein haze doesn't affect flavor.

Im guessing i should also keep the whirlfloc out, as that will just precipitate a lot of that out yes?

Latest posts

Back