Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarcrarc

Air Garcia
Reaction score
I am stepping up a yeast starter using Propper Starter cans (for the first time). After completing the first starter (used distilled water) I cold crashed it. After decanting, I added another can of starter for the step up. However, it requires a full can of water to get to 1040. Being out of distilled water, I just used RO out of our kitchen system. My concern is that I am aware of bacteria being potentially present. Anyone ever use RO in a similar circumstance (or add it without boiling to top off your beer) with results you can share? Hate the thought of the waste of the starter cost, a full brew day, etc for infected beer. Thanks!

I've never not pasteurized starter medium (I'm a DME person wrt starters) but otoh I have in the past topped off a fermentor with our well water right out of the brewery faucet, without evident issues.

I'd be inclined to say "no worries"...

Cheers!

Back