Earth Hour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duckfoot

Reaction score
For Earth Hour, citizens of the world will turn off their power for an hour at 8:30 p.m. on March 28, in a move against global warming.

In case you participate and notice something shimmering in the distance, that will be my house with every light, tv, stereo, computer, major appliance, and the a/c going while I am sitting out in the driveway with all five of my cars running with their respective a/c's on as well...

Don't get me wrong, I try to be a good steward of the planet, but I think some people are really starting to drink the kool-aid here...

This is probably just backlash from something I found out at work this week where they changed the safety creed to include language that includes environmental sensitivity, which I have yet to figure out what the hell that has to do with safety... Also my work vehicle gets around 9 mpg, so instead of changing a slogan, get me one of those fancy natural gas powered vehicles or a hybrid...

Rant done...

Who in their right might would pick sunday at 8:30??? what the heck else am I going to do at 8:30 instead of sit in front of my TV with a beer in hand. They should pick something better where I don't care if I have everything turned off then; no problem. Also what if my house is solar powered, do i have to participate then, I make my own power, I should be good to go already.

I plan on pulling the mains during this time. its a symbol is all. and i feel its a good symbol. now if you want to do this more power to you. 1 hour wont be bad to me since its a sunday and nothing is on sunday nights. now if this were sat at 12:30am cst no way in hell as i will be watching the opening race of the f1 season.

This is total BS if your actually looking to make a statement have everyone turn off at a peak use time. The power company is still going to be generating electricity during this time. If you want to make a difference turn down the AC on the hottest day of the year so they don't have to fire up the generators that aren't normally used.

This happened last year when I was still in the dorm, I sat in my room blasting my music from my computer and then took a nice hot shower. About 20 minutes left in the "earth hour" and I leave my room and and get a disapproving looking from this self righteous B**** and a gaggle of girls she had gathered there, who proceeded to yell at me. I calmly pointed out that they were sitting in a lit hallway, so therefore were missing out on the true experience, not to mention that the computers that they were using on the wireless internet? Those would have to be re-charged with all that "power" they saved during earth hour.

I didnt run my heat once the entire winter, rather just survived on the heat from the building which was plenty. I'd like to see them make up for the power they wasted keeping their rooms at 80+ all winter in that hour.

This is total BS if your actually looking to make a statement have everyone turn off at a peak use time. The power company is still going to be generating electricity during this time. If you want to make a difference turn down the AC on the hottest day of the year so they don't have to fire up the generators that aren't normally used.
my ac does turn off during the day and after midnight. my heater does the same thing. just as the boston tea party and this years tea parties its a symbol.

What a stupid time to do an "earth hour"

8 farking 30 on a sunday?

In spring?

How about at least doing it during peak hours. Ya know, 9-5, monday to friday...

Maybe even during a peak season... like... um... not spring.

Or here's a fricking thought - ah hell... ya aren't listening by now if your falling for the pour hour crap anyways.

I know nothing about electricity generation, but what would happen (if EVERYONE participated) at 9:30 when everyone turned the power back on?

I know nothing about electricity generation, but what would happen (if EVERYONE participated) at 9:30 when everyone turned the power back on?

Good thing no one will participate, eh?

Can you imagine - all the fridge and freezer compressors. All the heaters or air conditioners.

Would be a hell of a spike wouldn't it.

Being a responsible steward of the earth is very important to me. That said, this thing is absolutely retarded.

These people are caught up in a religious revival not based on scientific facts. Come to the church of global warming!

I believe that the head wack jobs in charge are going to be trying to show satellite images of a dark earth during this hour to show governments that everyone cares about militant environmentalism. I on the other hand am going to try rivaling the Luxor's light output. +1 to my house being visible to the people on the space station.

I remember this from last year. I was driving down to Portland to Kilted Brewer's and was passed on the highway by a Subaru. They had signs all over their windows advertising this, to the point that their rear window was pretty much obscured.

I have nothing against the environment or nature, but this "green" stuff is getting out of hand. Every business from banks to coal mines have some "green" plan they are trying to promote. Green Banking, Green Car Insurance, etc....

How about something a bit more realistic than giving me a carbon credit if I buy insurance from you.

Its not all power. Some of you guys fail to see that. Its just lighting, a symbolic gesture that still adds up to savings.

Make a night of it and just have a few mates over for a candle lit beer tasting/dinner party.

Or you could be a jack ass and make a point of how much you individually contribute to the problems in the environment.

I'll be the jackass then. This whole thing is a fricken joke. If any of these city governments or businesses gave a rat's ass they'd shut off the full lighting that they keep on after hours in high rises and other office buildings. What about all of the wasted energy the other 8,759 hours of the year.

Not me, I'm going to use all the electricity I can at that time to offset all you other crazies and your anti-global warming nonsense. Don't you realize that polar bears are dangerous ?

I remember this from last year. I was driving down to Portland to Kilted Brewer's and was passed on the highway by a Subaru. They had signs all over their windows advertising this, to the point that their rear window was pretty much obscured.

I have nothing against the environment or nature, but this "green" stuff is getting out of hand. Every business from banks to coal mines have some "green" plan they are trying to promote. Green Banking, Green Car Insurance, etc....

How about something a bit more realistic than giving me a carbon credit if I buy insurance from you.

that starts out by demanding more. shop at stores that dont use the full lighting inside or has chosen to build green. when the city has meetings be apart of it and demand green building for all planning going forward. you living in portland though are surrounded by the center of all that is green. for me i live in an area where its all about the oil and nat gas. I choose to be more green cause it saves me money in the long run. I have went out of my way to convert to all cfl and i have went out of my way to ensure i dont run the heat or ac while not going to be useful. i do need to get my windows replaced as they are all single pane i windows. and if i could id throw up a wind mill in a heart beat but we do not get the 5mph winds needed to generate power. anyway you can be against this and thats all good. you can laugh and thats all good as well. but sooner or later everyone will need to conserve. be it for the pocketbook or because we have no resources left.

I'll be the jackass then. This whole thing is a fricken joke. If any of these city governments or businesses gave a rat's ass they'd shut off the full lighting that they keep on after hours in high rises and other office buildings. What about all of the wasted energy the other 8,759 hours of the year.
couldnt agree with you more on this. i do believe offices that have the ability to use natural light to use natural light. for instance i work in a building that is all glass yet we stil use the lights. no reason for it. I have said something about the wasted energy. but of course there would be jackasses that would say turn the lights on for what ever reason. again nothing against you or the ideal that this is a joke. its not a joke for many people i being one of them.

Most of our council lights are solar powered and councils are taking part in this as well. Its too bad council liability has gone too far these days and they go overboard with safety etc etc in fear of being sued. Otherwise we could see a lot of the pointless lights left on around the place turned off.

As homebrewers we rely on the harvest of hops and barley. And the use of fresh water as well which is a luxury where I live with our years of chronic drought. I would of thought brewers would care a bit more about the environment even if this is just a TOKEN exercise.

There is a difference between not taking part and just showing complete contempt for it.

I don't like greenies preaching to me about how I could throw away my TV and live off the land but there is an easy middle ground to meet on.

Look, I like to use as little of energy as I can, but that is because I am a cheap bast**d. I have even paid more money for things such as a energy efficient Variable speed pool pump because I know it will help in the long run but not because I am going to save the environment.

All that to say this is crap!!! 8:30 in the morning would be one of the hours where I was using the least amount of power anyways (except for the pool pumps)

I won't be showing my contempt for the environment, I'll showing contempt for the people who are pompous enough to think that their way is the only way.
How many migratory birds have to die at the blades of the windmills before they are outlawed? How many miles of land need to be flooded to produce clean renewable hydro energy for all? Yet we can't build nuclear plants because they are bad and we can't build new coal plants because they are bad.
I would love to put a solar panel on my roof and disconnect from the grid, but they are still too damn expensive and not efficient enough.
How much Mercury is going to be leached into the ground when people start improperly disposing of their CFL? I have cfl's in about half of my sockets. I would suggest the ones with the rubberized plastic casing, otherwise you may have to call Haz-Mat if you drop one.
People just need to get over themselves and realize just how insignificant we are in the face of the sheer power contained in this sphere we are flying around on. One major volcanic eruption and we'll be dreaming of the days of global warming.
I don't have all the answers, I just know that the one sided solutions that some are trying to shove down my throat suck.
Sorry for the rant, I often type whatever comes to my mind.

Yeah, we really are extremely insignificant compared to natural greenhouse gas emissions. I think global warming is a crock of ****.

Global Warming???? Arrrrrrhgg!

I'll be getting out the halogen work lights and point them straight up at 8:30 so Google Earth can spot them along with all my lights and heat signature coming off my Central Air unit.

Sorry, but climate change is not caused by man, nor can it be controlled or even predicted no matter what AlGore says.

How many migratory birds have to die at the blades of the windmills before they are outlawed?

OK, let me preface this by saying that in my opinion, global warming is a big steaming pantload forced down our throat.

HOWEVER, your little statement about migratory birds getting caught in a windmill is equally as ridiculous. There was a huge debate around here because the local power company wanted to put up a bunch of windmills near the Horicon Marsh, a major hub for ducks, geese, swans, etc. The anti-windmill folks tried that argument until they finally realized just how stupid it was. The argument went on to other things, until the windmills finally got built, and the waterfowl are proving themselves smart enough to fly around them. I don't mind the windmills one bit. Whatever keeps my electric bills down.

I don't mind the windmills one bit. Whatever keeps my electric bills down.

I'm too lazy to search the intergoogle right now, but I think that the only reason these things are economicaly feasible right now is because of government subsidies. If I get bored tomorrow I may dig up some hard facts. If that is the case, then you are paying for the difference one way or the other. Weather through taxes, or through increased cost for products produced by people who are paying higher taxes.

Windmills = jobs (installation and maintenance)

Windmills = (practically) free power after payoff period

Windmills = "green" power

Everything's subsidized...

But we better shut the windmills down for the power hour ;-)

I buy my power from 100% renewable sources because I was searching around and lo and behold it was the CHEAPEST because of a special offer if I signed up for a 12 month contract. So I'm going to ignore this whole thread and go drown stray kittens on March 28th at 8:30pm. HAHA! :ban:

This will be every bit as effective as those 'no gas' days. Don't you remember how the gas prices plummeted because everyone filled up with gas the day before and the day after 'no gas buy' day?

Oh wait.

They didn't.

Nothing happened. The whole thing is stupid. You really want to make a difference? Shut off the breakers for a week. Have everyone do that. That will actually make a difference in power generation. People don't realize (especially the morons that thought of this stupid idea) that power is generated all the time, and it's just shunted from here to there depending on who's buying it. We ship it basically just like any other commodity, only along power lines instead of rail lines. The power you're using right now could be coming from any number of random plants in your area, or not even that! The company I work for sells power to California, Washington, Idaho, Utah and Wyoming. WYOMING! That's 1600 miles away from me!

What I'm going to do on the 28th is brew some beer, bitches!

Wish I could brew that night. My brewstand pulls 1/4 of the available power for my house. If I took the time to run another line to it I could pull nearly 1/2. When I'm boiling the lights tend to dim and brighten as the controller flips the element on and off (hardly noticible). On the other hand it costs me less than $2 in electric for the whole brew session, a lot better than propane.

I'd like to see how important this is to those who endorse the idea by doing it during the entire game on Superbowl Sunday. Not that I would join in...just sayin. :rockin:

Back