Early Racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatsFan1985

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have a blueberry wheat that's in the primary and perking about once a minute. I was hoping to rack it even though it's still going at a visible rate. Are there any drawbacks to doing this? I would think that it might help because I'll get a nice CO2 cushion to prevent oxidizing my beer.

Why would you want to remove a beer from it's yeast when it is still fermenting????

That's asking for a stuck fermentation.

There is very little reason to rack a beer these days any way, and if you do, you should wait til fermentation is complete. And you know that from 2 consequetive HYDROMETER readings spaced over three day. I recommend that new brewers don't even take their first reading til at least day 10, I usually do day 12.

But most of us leave our beer in primary for a month, then bottle, skipping secondary altogether.

That's asking for a stuck fermentation.

Good point, I'm a little disappointed I overlook that. My main drive for wanting to rack it was to see if the green from the hop pellets settled out. I did a mash with some blueberries and had a wonderful purple color to the wort until the pellets. In retrospect I should have used whole hops. But I suppose I should be patient, wait, and RDWHAHB.

Not to mention your airlock isn't really any indication of fermentation. As Revvy stated, the hydrometer readings mean something. The airlock just means CO2 was released. Beer holds a ton of trapped CO2 for weeks after primary is completely finished.

the green from the pellets will drop out of solution in the primary as well as secondary.

I've done several Speed Brew's where they recommend racking on day 3. I ended up with diacetyl in the first one I did. You need to allow the yeast to clean up after fermentation before racking.

I had to bring it back up to room temp and added more yeast, but it cleared up nicely in about 4 days.

Now I don't rush them anymore. ;)

Back