Early frost

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalmah

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got 6 plants that are just now about ready to harvest and I was planning on picking over the next couple weekends. However in Minnesota here we may be getting an unseasonably early frost tonight. Will it harm the cones? Trying to cover the plants growing up the side of my garage sounds almost impossible.

I wouldn't be too concerned unless the frosts persist or are particularly intense. I've had bearing bines ride through a couple of mild frosts without apparent problems. Frost is usually hardest near ground level where not only do my bines not bear but the lowest five feet of bines were stripped of leaves in mid-season anyway...

Cheers!

Curious to know this as well... I've got a two year old plant, just about to harvest... was going to do so this weekend but I live in Upstate NY and we have a "severe frost warning" with temps dipping into the low 30s tonight...

Should I harvest today to be safe?

Back