Early Bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanker

Reaction score
I did an experimental recipe with only 4.5 lbs of amber malt extract (is that too weak?). The first and second day I had rapid fermentation, as the airlock bubbled faster than I'd seen before. After about the third day with it bubbling a bit, it stopped completely. After a week passed I moved the brew to a secondary fermenter, three days have passed with no fermentation. Should I still let it sit in the secondary for the remaining four days, or is it done what its gonna do and its time for bottling?

Did you take final gravity readings 3 days apart? If they're the same then you should be safe to bottle if you want to.

I have not.... my first two batches bubbled the airlock for several days, and again in the secondary. Is this just gonna be a weak brew?

I recommend taking a sample and checking the final gravity. You are most likely looking at somewhere in the 3-3 1/2 % ABV range.

Taking gravity readings is the only certain way to tell if its done fermenting.

Will do.That kinda sucks, I feared it'd end up in the 3% range. Last time I go cheap and only use 4.5 lbs. I guess it'll be an all day drinking kinda beer!

Will do.That kinda sucks, I feared it'd end up in the 3% range. Last time I go cheap and only use 4.5 lbs. I guess it'll be an all day drinking kinda beer!

That kind of depends on whether you are brewing to get buzzed/drunk or if you are brewing for the enjoyment of the flavors. I purposely brewed a batch with about that OG just because I wanted the flavors.:mug:

RM-MN said:
That kind of depends on whether you are brewing to get buzzed/drunk or if you are brewing for the enjoyment of the flavors. I purposely brewed a batch with about that OG just because I wanted the flavors.:mug:

Sounds like a mild. As long as the flavor is there, it's fine.

Good point... I never mind a buzz, but I'm brewing for a good tasting brew more than anything!

Back