Earliest Christmas dinner ever.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dixon9717

Reaction score
Since all my kids are home to visit and My youngest is joining the Marines before Christmas we had Christmas dinner and gift exchange today. Had prime rib rubbed with horseradish, garlic, olive oil, onion powder, salt and pepper. With scalloped potatoes and asparagus. Turned out delicious. Gotta do what you gotta do due to circumstances. Felt weird celebrating Christmas so early but no less better since all my kids were home.

Was pretty cool to share my home brew with my oldest daughter (24) the only beer drinker of my kids. imperial stout, Belgium tripel and blonde Mango. Since she lives in Ft Collins Co.a micro brew capital. She says my brews stand up to the local brews. One proud Dad here when she asks to take all my beer home with her. Lol.

Don't know about your beer, but at least you know how to put together a meal! Prime rib and asparagus!!!!! I can't even cook right now, my entire kitchen is gutted due to renovation.

The soon to be marine had beer, too, right? But you didn't list his age ;-)

Our oldest teen, who is 14, asked for a beer or a cider about 5 months back on a hot summer day. I gave her a Foster's Radler. She's already physically full grown and taller than my wife, so I figured that half a liter of 2% ABV wouldn't be enough to get her tipsy.

Anyway, back on topic: No early christmas dinner for me. My goal is to have renovation complete in time for christmas. If that happens, my planned menu is oven roasted goose breasts with blueberry sauce, chicken liver mousse, fried brussel sprouts and a bottle of bordeaux.

Oh the pain: I've got 4 kilos of goose breasts and two entire ducks in my freezer right now and nothing to cook with other than a single burner, portable induction cooktop.

Sounds like a fine time and a fine plan! Besides, we don't know when the true Christmas was anyway except that it almost certainly wasn't on Dec. 25th! ;) Life is short, make your own traditions! My family for instance has ribs on thanksgiving, no turkey. I think we've had 3 turkeys maybe in almost 20 yrs.

Since all my kids are home to visit and My youngest is joining the Marines before Christmas we had Christmas dinner and gift exchange today. Had prime rib rubbed with horseradish, garlic, olive oil, onion powder, salt and pepper. With scalloped potatoes and asparagus. Turned out delicious. Gotta do what you gotta do due to circumstances. Felt weird celebrating Christmas so early but no less better since all my kids were home.

I think it's awesome that your family was able to celebrate together, whether it was Dec. 25th or not; it's family that counts, not the date on the calendar.
Regards, GF. :mug:

Podz
Good luck with the renovation. What a pain before the holidays. And I agree that family time doesn't have to be on any certain day. My two daughters are Navy and Air Force. So when my Son heads to basic training it'll be a rare occasion for us all to be together.....

Great story! Thank your children for their service!
Three of my four stepchildren were here last night for my birthday dinner. Wife made spaghetti, it was lovely. We are rarely all together too, though the boys only live 60 miles from here. My oldest is a Marine Corps veteran.
Oh yeah, we had a few homebrews!

My family for instance has ribs on thanksgiving, no turkey. I think we've had 3 turkeys maybe in almost 20 yrs.

Turkey is not really a very good meat as far as birds go. Needs lots of salt, gravy, etc. And after that, it tastes like salt and gravy.

My Boy was supposed to go to Basic Training January 5th. Got a call Monday from his recruiter. They moved is date up to today. Swearing in at 10:00 then off to boot camp. Sure glad we was able to all be together one last time till who knows when.
Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas.........

Back