E-Stop Wiring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagon_6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

If I wanted to move from the ground/resistor E-Stop in the diagram to a E-Stop/Main Power switch and contactor on the power line coming into the control panel, is this the correct way to wire it? I would also switch the E-Stop wiring from NO to NC.

Awesome, thanks. I'm looking to upgrade to a 2 element 120v panel and came across this diagram. It looks like I can run the second 120v hot line through the second contactor pole? The contactor listed says "30 Amp" but would it need to be 40 Amp rated since I will have two separate 20 Amp circuits?
120v 2 Element.png

Correct, each leg on the contactor can support 30 amps.

It also might be cheaper and simpler to use 20 amp direct switches instead of the element contactors. You don't have to disconnect the neutral.

A direct switch option:
https://www.auberinc.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69_32&products_id=600
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009XP2QQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Or if you prefer to maintain a switch-relay, you could move to these smaller single pole relays:
https://www.auberinc.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_31&products_id=250

[edit] I forgot to ask, what is the goal with the system set up like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 dedicated 120v circuits in my brewhouse and have been using a 2 vessel system with 2 separate controllers. I've got a toddler running around now so i'm going to go back to simpler eBIAB and want to build one panel that controls 2 elements. It will speed up the heat times and let me do both 5 & 10 gallon batches.

I know it has been hashed multiple times, but here's another in the pile: Please do not purposely fault a breaker as a means for E-Stop protection.

I'm not, removing it from the setup and putting a contactor on the main power in with a NC mushroom switch.

Awesome, thanks. I'm looking to upgrade to a 2 element 120v panel and came across this diagram. It looks like I can run the second 120v hot line through the second contactor pole? The contactor listed says "30 Amp" but would it need to be 40 Amp rated since I will have two separate 20 Amp circuits?View attachment 546338
Yes, you can use a single contactor to control two separate 120V circuits simultaneously. Each set of contacts in the contactor is rated for 30A, and you will put a max of 20A thru either of them, so the 30A contactor is ok.

The critical item for a dual circuit 120V control panel is to keep the two neutrals and two hots separate, If you connect the two neutrals or the two hots anywhere, you will trip your GFCI's continuously.

If you need any assistance with the circuit schematic, just let me know.
Brew on :mug:

The critical item for a dual circuit 120V control panel is to keep the two neutrals and two hots separate, If you connect the two neutrals or the two hots anywhere, you will trip your GFCI's continuously.

I figured this much and planned on being meticulous/tidy with the wiring. Just to confirm, both grounds can be run to the same terminal strip though?

Back