E-Rig Schematic review please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first run with this rig will be my first all grain beer.

Wow, that's awesome! Keep good notes on everything, I need to mooch off of what you buy, so I can copy it. :mug:
And I thought I was nuts for building one after 50ag batches.:)

Wow, that's awesome! Keep good notes on everything, I need to mooch off of what you buy, so I can copy it. :mug:
And I thought I was nuts for building one after 50ag batches.:)

Does 15 extract batches in 6 months count? :D

I don't know if my Foo is as strong as CodeRage's, but Imma gonna give it a go ;)

My first all grain was a zappap-lautering-wheat-mess-stuck-sparge-finallygiveup-dumponthelawn-during-the-frigging-superbowl-missed-the-game-nightmare-from-hell. I credit the equipment with this mess. If I had gone blink from the gitgo, would have been better.

I occassionally look back and wonder why I even tried again. Anyone remember Rosemary's Baby (the movie)? Think rosemary had any more babies?

BTW, zappap backwards is pappaz, not-too-coincidentally similar to Pappazian.

Back on topic - This is the first draft of the control panel layouts...
And no, I haven't drawn out the schematic for switching between RTDs - It just hit me while I was laying out the panel, and thought it would be a neat idea for more flexibility in the process (To be able to choose where your mash PID got it's temp from) :D

High Voltage panel:
HV%20Panel.jpg

Low Voltage Panel:
LV%20Panel.jpg

Question regarding 24VDC power supply. Any idea what you will be using for this? I noticed the following article, but I don't think the AMP rating here is large enough on the negative poles? If thats true, whats the best alternative or what do you plan on using?

I am studying your schematic to do something very similiar. I would like to keep my 110/220 in 1 box and then control everything via 24VDC from my 'control panel'. Also my solenoids and PIDs are going to be run from 24VDC.

Thanks!

Question regarding 24VDC power supply. Any idea what you will be using for this? I noticed the following article, but I don't think the AMP rating here is large enough on the negative poles? If thats true, whats the best alternative or what do you plan on using?

I am studying your schematic to do something very similiar. I would like to keep my 110/220 in 1 box and then control everything via 24VDC from my 'control panel'. Also my solenoids and PIDs are going to be run from 24VDC.

Thanks!

I haven't found a suitable power supply yet. I might just wind up building one. I haven't spec'd the contactors yet, so I don't know what my draw is going to be. There's still some work to do there :)
It's going to be an AC power supply, though, because I can't find 24vDC contactors, and I don't want to have 2 power supplies if I can help it...

SweetSounds,

Any updates? Looking forward to seeing your build.

Also, I had a question (as I am using your schematic as a guide for my own), is there a difference between using the breakers in your design, versus wiring in fuses? Or are you planning to use both? I assume breakers don't come in quick blow and slow blow?

SweetSounds,

Any updates? Looking forward to seeing your build.

Also, I had a question (as I am using your schematic as a guide for my own), is there a difference between using the breakers in your design, versus wiring in fuses? Or are you planning to use both? I assume breakers don't come in quick blow and slow blow?

Thanks! But go at your own risk ;) My schematics are nowhere near complete yet... I'm not yet happy with the interlocks.

I chose those breakers because they are DIN rail mountable, and I don't want to have to deal with fuses. If you like, fuses can be substituted 1 for 1.
Those breakers are, by the way, available in both slow and fast blow, as it were...
B-Curve are what you would call "Fast" blow - 3-5 times the rated current, max inrush.
D-Curve would replace "Slow" blow - 10-20 times the rated current, max inrush.
My system will hopefully contain no fuses.

Unfortunately, time and money haven't really happened across my path at the same time lately. A family reunion, 6 new tires, on and on - You know the drill.
I have managed to acquire 2 stainless steel prep tables (My brew stand), a CFC, and a few other odds and ends, but I gotta still drop the $600 on PIDs, SSRs, and all kinds of switches and indicators. I'm also working on scoring (8) 14 x 16 x 6 NEMA enclosures. Hopefully the 6 extras will finance a few more parts here in the next few weeks ;)

Back