E Herms Cooler set up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBarron

Reaction score
I have spent much time scouring this forum in an attempt to wrap my brain around setting up an E herms HLT and I wanted to run a few questions by the experts out there and get a feel for what you would recommend. Thanks for any info you can provide and my appologies for asking questions that have already been asked, I swear I did my homework first.

I am starting with a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler. I am going to add a 1500 high watt density element and will control it with the standard Johnson A419 temp control.

Now, my questions start with the HERMS coil. Please take into account that it will all be housed in the 10 gallon cooler:

- What is the preferred length for the coil (25 or 50 feet)?

- What is the preferred diameter 3/8 or 1/2 inch?

- Any concerns with fitting the coil in the cooler? (ie. 1/2 stainless too stiff to bend therefor may not be ideal for the 10 gallon cooler, etc)

- What is the preferred metal for the coil, copper or ss?

- What is the preferred design/input output for the coil installation? (in the lid out the side, in the lid out the lid, in the side out the side, other?)

- What are the preferred connections to the coolers? (qd's, etc)

- Any concerns with installing these to the plastic cooler? (leakage?)

Now the rest of my system will include another 10 gallon cooler for my mlt, a pump and I am not sure about the BK yet. I have a turkey fryer pot, but may look to upgrade to an E BK. I have to figure out this HLT first though. Baby steps man, baby steps.

thanks again for your help guys.

I have spent much time scouring this forum in an attempt to wrap my brain around setting up an E herms HLT and I wanted to run a few questions by the experts out there and get a feel for what you would recommend. Thanks for any info you can provide and my appologies for asking questions that have already been asked, I swear I did my homework first.

I am starting with a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler. I am going to add a 1500 high watt density element and will control it with the standard Johnson A419 temp control. I would consider using more power than 1500 watts. I have (2) 2000-watt heater elements in my 15 gallon HLT. If you go for more power, you can have the johnson upstream of a Solid State Relay that accepts 120V on the relay side.

Now, my questions start with the HERMS coil. Please take into account that it will all be housed in the 10 gallon cooler:

- What is the preferred length for the coil (25 or 50 feet)? 25 feet is fine

- What is the preferred diameter 3/8 or 1/2 inch? 3/8" is pretty standard. get more surface area per volume, than with 1/2"

- Any concerns with fitting the coil in the cooler? (ie. 1/2 stainless too stiff to bend therefor may not be ideal for the 10 gallon cooler, etc) no problems with copper.

- What is the preferred metal for the coil, copper or ss? copper is cheaper and easier to work

- What is the preferred design/input output for the coil installation? (in the lid out the side, in the lid out the lid, in the side out the side, other?) I have both inlet and outlet coming out the top of the cooler. for me it was one less place to make sure i have a seal. if you go through the wall you have to have a bulkhead connection on the cooler, and a compression connection to the tubing

- What are the preferred connections to the coolers? (qd's, etc) I have mcmaster high flow coolant qd's on everything

- Any concerns with installing these to the plastic cooler? (leakage?) no problems if you go out the top. for cooler drain valves use the silicone washers on bargainfittings.com. they work better than silicone o-rings

Now the rest of my system will include another 10 gallon cooler for my mlt, a pump and I am not sure about the BK yet. I have a turkey fryer pot, but may look to upgrade to an E BK. I have to figure out this HLT first though. Baby steps man, baby steps.

thanks again for your help guys.

see answers above

Thanks sjlammer,

I appreciate your feedback.

Re: I would consider using more power than 1500 watts. I have (2) 2000-watt heater elements in my 15 gallon HLT. If you go for more power, you can have the johnson upstream of a Solid State Relay that accepts 120V on the relay side.

So, if I had a SS relay between the Johnson controller and the element I could bump it up to 2000 watts and still use 120V?

I have 240V running into my garage, (I think the previous owner used to be a welder), but I am not so sure I'm pickin up what everybody's putting down yet re: 240V systems. Little nervous to take that plunge just yet. Anyway, I'll keep reading up on it.

Back