dying nugget hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boek

Reaction score
These are second year hops. What is going on? Do 2nd yr hops need to to be watered? Bugs? Fungus? I know my trellis isnt ideal but it is what i can manage in the city.

ForumRunner_20120704_081807.jpg

ForumRunner_20120704_081839.jpg

ForumRunner_20120704_081925.jpg

My guess would be that watering them might help. They may be competing with the grass for nutrients and moisture. Perhaps providing a little fertilizer such as compost or something nitrogen-rich would help as well.

That looks like about the growth I would expect from the second year.

Try cultivating around the plant but shallow enough that you don't disturb the roots, add some topsoil with a high nitrogen and iron content. Fertilize them every couple of weeks with a liquid fertilizer like Miracle Gro. Hops like a lot of water. If they start to flower switch to a super-bloom type fertilizer for the last month. Pick the hops off and let the leaves remain until they die in the late fall. Cut back the bines to the ground and cover the roots with mulch until next spring.

Back