DYI Fermentation chamber parts help - Ritetemp thermostat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nestorlinks

Reaction score
I made the mistake of starting the fermentation of a light lager (with WLP840 yeast), not checking first to make sure I'd have enough room to fit both buckets into my currently empty kegerator (to ferment at 50-55 degrees). Needless to say, there wasn't enough room. Now I have one bucket in the kegerator and the other bucket in a chest freezer that I've been unsuccessfully trying to manually cycle.

In short, I need to quickly build a temperature controller with parts that I can go buy in a store (today). I have a solid state relay and the odds and ends, but not the thermostat. Everyone here on the forum seems to use the RiteTemp thermostats because they can get down to 35 degrees. However, I cannot find these anywhere. Home Depot does not seem to carry them anymore, even though that's what RiteTemp's website says...and RiteTemp isn't answering their support line.

Anyone know where I could really get one of these? Or have a suggested alternative?

i used that hunter to do a RiteTemp from Home Depot. basically the same thing... find some wire to make a temp probe and hook the signal to a relay to your power outlet. if you want to be really fancy run one for heat and one for cool.

RiteTemp emailed me back finally:

"Ritetemp is now Filtrete 3M and is still sold at Home Depot. The 8000 and 6000 series thermostats have been discontinued."

I picked up a Hunter and hooked it all up tonight. 45 degrees will work for most applications so I guess I shouldn't complain.

From what I understood in the "adjusting the internal thermostat" thread, that only works for a certain range though, right? Seemed like most were only able to get up to the 30s.

Back