Duvel recipe (extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seven77

Reaction score
Anyone know a good extract recipe for the Belgian beer, Duvel? I'm a newbie and haven't experimented with all-grain yet, but that's a few months down the road. I found most other recipe's for beers I liked but am not finding an extract recipe for Duvel.

Thanks for reading!

I know this is a REAAALLLY old thread with zero replies, but I have the same question. I'm looking for a Duvel extract clone. Has anyone done the recipe in Clone Brews? I have that and was wondering how accurate it is.

Thanks!

I have done the ag recipe in Clone Brews and it is sitting on the fruit now.

Fruit? Not really a clone with fruit.

Brewing Classic Styles has a clone of the recipe. I don't have my book handy however. The AG recipe is about 25% sugar and the rest is Belgian Pilsner. Bitter to about 25 IBU with a 60 minute addition. Use WLP 570, this is where the pear aroma comes from. It is a really simple recipe.

I think the key to a extract clone would be to find Belgian pils as opposed to the German extract.

Awesome! Thanks guys! I'll check out the audio. Planning on picking up Brew Like A Monk also. Is that a good read for one getting into Belgium brews?

Thanks again for the help!

Brew Like a Monk is a good read. It is not a recipe book; it's more an exploration of the philosophy of brewing Belgian Abbey-style beers. So if you're after clone recipes, you may not find it terribly useful.

I find it an excellent addition to my brewing library.

Cheers,

Bob

Sounds like BLAM is the book for me! I wanted to start out with a clone just to see how close to the original I could get the recipe. From there I'd like to tweak it to come up with my own strong golden ale recipe. Ultimately I'd like to make my own versions for various Belgium style beers. Definitely a strong golden ale, a trippel, and something like a Grimbergen Blonde.

I heard Designing Great Beers is also a good read. Thoughts?

Fruit? Not really a clone with fruit.

Brewing Classic Styles has a clone of the recipe. I don't have my book handy however. The AG recipe is about 25% sugar and the rest is Belgian Pilsner. Bitter to about 25 IBU with a 60 minute addition. Use WLP 570, this is where the pear aroma comes from. It is a really simple recipe.

I think the key to a extract clone would be to find Belgian pils as opposed to the German extract.

It called for 4 oz of pear flavoring and that is what I was referring to.

It called for 4 oz of pear flavoring and that is what I was referring to.

Did you use pear fruit or the extract? I've seen the pear extract in a couple recipes. Is it necessary? Does Duvel actually put pear in their brew or is adding the extract just a clever way to help match the flavor?

Did you use pear fruit or the extract? I've seen the pear extract in a couple recipes. Is it necessary? Does Duvel actually put pear in their brew or is adding the extract just a clever way to help match the flavor?

See if your lhbs has pear flavoring. It is in a 5 ounce bottle, I believe. Just add that come bottling time and you are set. I don't know if Duvel actually uses pear flavoring or not.

I've listened to this a couple times now and can't wait to try it out! Sounds great! Now, however, I have a couple questions.

1. Is the Belgium pilsner malt extract Jamil says to use dry or liquid?
  2. Where on earth can I find pilsner malt extract that's from Belgium? I've looked all over! I think I actually encountered the End of the internet!

Thanks again for the recommendation! I'll be a regular listener to his show now!

I've listened to this a couple times now and can't wait to try it out! Sounds great! Now, however, I have a couple questions.

1. Is the Belgium pilsner malt extract Jamil says to use dry or liquid?
  2. Where on earth can I find pilsner malt extract that's from Belgium? I've looks all over! I think I actually encountered the End of the internet!

Thanks again for the recommendation! I'll be a regular listener to his show now!

its liquid, but i really have no idea about finding it from belgium. if you find some let me know.

also i don't think Duvel actually uses any pear flavoring, but i cant remember where i read that.

also i don't think Duvel actually uses any pear flavoring, but i cant remember where i read that.

I read that the yeast imparts a peary aroma and flavor, so WLP570 or Wyeast equivalent should be used. I won't be adding the pear extract when I make this. I may have to do it ag tho, to ensure I use actual Belgium pilsner malt. We'll see. :)

Some notes:

1. Don't waste your time seeking out Belgian malts or extracts. Belgian brewers of abbey beers don't use them (as a general rule); why should you?

2. If you must use Belgian extract, I really don't know what you're going to do. The only specifically Belgian extracts of which I am aware are the various Brewferm hopped-extract "kits."

Just use an unhopped Pilsner malt extract. If you're going all-grain, use a European Pils malt like Weyermann.

Cheers,

Bob

Just use an unhopped Pilsner malt extract. If you're going all-grain, use a European Pils malt like Weyermann.

Great advice! This is why I love this forum!

Which brands of extract are European? Briess is American, right? Would Munton's be a good brand?

Thanks again!

The source really doesn't matter all that much. Any malt flavors are going to be overshadowed by yeast character.

Briess Pilsner will end a bit more full-bodied than Muntons Extra-Light, which has a tendency to ferment quite dry. Knowing that, you can make an educated decision.

Cheers,

Bob

The source really doesn't matter all that much. Any malt flavors are going to be overshadowed by yeast character.

Briess Pilsner will end a bit more full-bodied than Muntons Extra-Light, which has a tendency to ferment quite dry. Knowing that, you can make an educated decision.

Cheers,

Bob

Is Munton's Extra Light is their pilsner malt? And hearing about how the two fermen, I'm going the Munton's route! The Jamil recipe calls for a dry, dry flavor. I'm stoked now! :mug:

Sounds like BLAM is the book for me!
I
I heard Designing Great Beers is also a good read. Thoughts?

I have both..

BLAM is my favorite.. but I am crazy about Belgians.

Designing Great Beers doesn't even talk about Belgians.

I highly doubt they use pear extract.

From what I understand, Duvel is pretty straight forward.. pilsner, candi sugar, etc.

570 and 1388 are the yeasts you want to use.. that is what gives it its fruity taste.

they also condition it at cold temps if Im not mistaken.

I have both..

BLAM is my favorite.. but I am crazy about Belgians.

Designing Great Beers doesn't even talk about Belgians.

Thanks for the info. Have you brewed any sour beers or lambics at home yet? Does BLAM address these styles as well? I'm crazy about belgian brews also and plan to brew quite a few of them in near future. I'd love to be able to brew something like Lindemans Cuvee Rene Gueuze Lambic Beer. Don't know if my Pallette's getting ahead of my abilities, but damn that'd be tasty!!

For now I'm comfortable with brewing this Duvel! It's going to be delicious!

No they really don't talk too mucah about Lambics.

Mostly focus on standard Belgians, ie. Belgian Dark Strongs, Tripels, and Dubbels.

But do some research about Duvel.. Im almost positive that they let it ferment inititally at the hight 60s, then keep it in the 40s for awhile.

That is why it is almost lager-ish

I guess the next step (other than buying the ingredients) is to figure out how to keep the temp around my carboy in the 60s. I live outside Houston and it's bloody hot still. Also, I don't have a kegerator (yet) so precise control ove the temp will be difficult. Cover with a soaked towel, put frozen cups of water around the perimeter? Something for me to mess around with…

EDIT: Found some great ideas here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/how-keep-fermenter-cool-summer-123857/

Back