Dusting off the cobwebs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zhill430

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have brewed in the past with a Northern Brewer Deluxe homebrew starter kit and have everything I need equipment wise. However, it has been well over a year since I used any of the equipment. I know dirt and crud can ruin beer and wanted to make sure I cleaned everything properly before using it again. Does anyone have any guidance for what kind of cleaner/sanitizer to use? I have some One-Step left over but didn't know if that expires or if it needs to be cleaned with something stronger since it has been sitting for so long. Thank you for any advice!

I have made DIY PBW as referenced by the very helpful HBT link. ;)

TL;DR - In a pinch OXY-Clean FREE (no ink, dyes or perfumes) can suffice with fairly hot 150F water for a good soak, then a good rinse.

If you are able to source some TSP/90 (sodium metasilicate) from Ace Hardware or similar, mix that with the OXY Free in a 2:1 ratio (OXY/TSP) ratio and use the same as OXY free by itself.

I would use OXY or this DIY PBW for the hour-long soaks of equipment and save the One-step for when you clean the fermenter after the next brew!

Back