Dunkelweizen require secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulinuke

Reaction score
I can't see why it would benefit from the secondary as it shouldn't clear too much anyhow right? My plan was 10 days or so in the primary and then into the keg and into the kegerator to cold condition and carbonate. Any input on this would be helpful, I am new to this style. Paul

Secondary who needs them, this is my Dunkelweizen after two weeks in the primary
Went from 1.048 to 1.01 in two weeks at 68F.

Dunkelweizen.jpg
[/IMG]

I have a dunkel that sat in primary for 14 days. I took samples and wasn't happy with the clarity. Thr krausen hadn't fallen yet so that may have had some impact on it.

I agree that it's not necessary for a dunkel, but I went ahead and racked mine anyway. I want this to be nice a clear. Plus I've got too many full kegs and only 2 taps. I won't be drinking it for a while anyway.

ohiobrewtus said:
I have a dunkel that sat in primary for 14 days. I took samples and wasn't happy with the clarity. Thr krausen hadn't fallen yet so that may have had some impact on it.

I agree that it's not necessary for a dunkel, but I went ahead and racked mine anyway. I want this to be nice a clear. Plus I've got too many full kegs and only 2 taps. I won't be drinking it for a while anyway.

You're talking about a different beer. You mean a munich dunkel right? He's talking a dunkelweizen. I've got one in primary right now and I'm planning on two weeks in there then bottle.

2 weeks in the primary (assuming fermentation is complete at that point) and then into the bottle for 2-3 weeks all I do for my hefe's and dunkelweizens. They're best younger than most beers and since they're supposed to be cloudy there's not much point in a secondary.

I usually get my dunkel hefe from boil kettle to belly in 4-5 weeks. I like it cloudy, and don't go for any clearing at all. Depending on how fast it ferments out (mine have been about 5 days).

please do not secondary your weisse-biers. you'll thank yourself for the cloudiness and lovely taste the yeast adds :mug:

(must admit i do make a mean, clear american wheat, tho :p)

Bromley said:
You're talking about a different beer. You mean a munich dunkel right? He's talking a dunkelweizen. I've got one in primary right now and I'm planning on two weeks in there then bottle.

Nope. Same beer. 50% wheat, Hefe yeast, the whole gamut.

thanks for the overwhelming response, I guess I will not secondary then, right to the keg, Thanks guys. Paul

Back