Dunkelweizen feedback appreciated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhys333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Brewing up a Dunkel this weekend and I appreciate your thoughts on my recipe. I'm including Maris Otter instead of Pils or domestic 2-Row because that's what I have. Yes, I'm too cheap and lazy to go buy some pils.

DUNKEL
60% Wheat malt
23% Maris Otter
7% Dark Munich
7% Vienna
3% Carafa II Special
Hallertauer @ 60 to 18 IBU
WY 3068 Weihenstephan
Mash @ 152F, ferment at 72F

With the extra maltiness from MO I could drop the Vienna, but I do like me some Vienna. Anyway, all input appreciated! :mug:

I think I would drop the carafa, and leave it alone or add some Melanoidin malt. Just a little bit to mimic the decoction mash. I do mine with 60% wheat(40% regular and 20% dark) then 30% pils, and 10% munich. And about 1/4lb melanoidin.

Thanks guys. The melanoidin sounds like a good idea, I think I'll keep the carafa though as it gets me to my desired srm. HairyHop - I've had success fermenting at 72. I usually get clove at mid-high 60s and subtle banana at 72, which I like. Nothing too overpowering though

MO does not really add 'maltiness' in the terms of German beer flavor. MO is more bready and not really ideal in a German style. This is where Pils and Munich malt should be used. I would drop the MO entirely.

MO does not really add 'maltiness' in the terms of German beer flavor. MO is more bready and not really ideal in a German style. This is where Pils and Munich malt should be used. I would drop the MO entirely.

Thanks for the advice mabrungard. I ended getting a half sack of domestic 2 Row yesterday for another batch. Not quite pils, but is this a reasonable sub in your opinion?

Thanks for the advice mabrungard. I ended getting a half sack of domestic 2 Row yesterday for another batch. Not quite pils, but is this a reasonable sub in your opinion?

Well reviewing the BJCP guidelines, shows that the dunkelweizen style is largely differentiated from the weizen style through the inclusion of a deep, rich barley malt character. That is generally attained through the inclusion of a significant portion of Munich malt along with a majority of wheat malt. The use of 2 row may not be getting you where you want to be.

Well reviewing the BJCP guidelines, shows that the dunkelweizen style is largely differentiated from the weizen style through the inclusion of a deep, rich barley malt character. That is generally attained through the inclusion of a significant portion of Munich malt along with a majority of wheat malt. The use of 2 row may not be getting you where you want to be.

on the other hand, it's a lot better than MO. I've seen quite a few recipes on this website using 2 row and poster claim the results are good, maybe the OP should check those out. Just google dunkelweizen site:homebrewtalk.com

my 2 cents, german styles are traditional and kind of finicky, and are best done on point. that being said, you probably won't be upset with the results if you do everything proper :)

I did a spectacular dunkelweizen a while back and I used a totally KISS recipe. It was:

5 lb dark wheat
5 lb dark Munich
2 oz carafa III.

1oz of tett at 60

3068 at 62 degrees.

Sometimes simpler is better.

Back