Dunkelweizen Critique/Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edco76

Reaction score
Ok, so I want to do a dunkel for my second batch of beer (extract)

I have looked around at several kits, and recipes and I think I have something that might work.

4lb Baverian Wheat DME
2lb Baverian Wheat LME

8oz Caramunich
4oz Carafa II
4oz Chocolate Malt

1oz Tradition 6%AA (60minutes)

Wyeast 3068

Since I dont have a big enough kettle, I have to do a 2.5gal boil then add water.

I have the trial of Beersmith but I'm still figuring it out. So I just want to make sure I'm not screwing something up here.

How did your beer turn out?

So far so good.

I left out the carafa from advice from a friend. He said it would be too black! I think it was a good call because the color looked good IMO

I got an 1.060 OG, 3 weeks @ 68f and bottled @ 1.018.

Been in the bottle a week. I plan on drinking one tomorrow. The samples were "good" I think lol. It tasted like bad beer which I take as a good sign.

OMG that bannana smell at bottling tho! The samples didnt seem to be too "banana" on the palette but the smell was really nice actually. Like fresh baked banana bread.

Came out a bit darker than expected but actually tasting pretty good at 5 weeks old (3 in fermenter, 2 in the bottle)

20141225_182348.jpg

Good looking Dunkel! Always one of my favorites. As you drink the batch, notice how it tends to get better with time

Good looking Dunkel! Always one of my favorites. As you drink the batch, notice how it tends to get better with time

Well, I just put my last 6 in the fridge and I'm drinking one now!

IT absolutely got better and I would say it is peaked about right now.

I'll definitely be brewing the recipe again and don't really know how I would go about improving it any.

You can set down and compare it to commercial styles, against the BJCP Guidelines, hand it to a judge/competition, or just have your beer geek friends help you identify anything that would take it over the top.

Back