Dunkelweizen - adding amber DME - new brewer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lockster

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum and blown away by all the great information found here. Great site!

Hopefully somebody can give this noob a little guidance on a question. I'm just about to brew my second ever batch and I'm using a Dunkelweizen kit from Keystone Homebrew. (I used their Amber Ale kit for my first and it came out fantastic).

The ingredients I'll be using are:

8 lb. Alexander’s Wheat Malt Extract
½ lb. Weyermann Caramel Wheat Malt
¼ lb. Weyermann De-Husked Carafa III Malt 9%
1½ oz. Hallertau Hop Plugs (Bittering)
Wyeast #3056 XL Bavarian Wheat Yeast

I also have most of a 1lb bag of amber dry malt extract lying around and I was thinking of adding it to the mix. I was wondering if this would adversely affect my brew in any way or would it just possible up the alcohol content somewhat as I'd hoped.

I also asked for an extra ounce of the hops for the finishing to boost the nose a little. Thoughts on this?

I appreciate any insights and feedback you can offer.

TIA,

Lockster

I'd keep that pound of amber DME for something else. I expect it would make your dunkelweizen too sweet.

I also would keep those extra hops for something else, as well. Good dunkelweizens get their nose from the yeast, and hop aromas tend to muddle that up. Try the kit on its own and see if you want more of a nose to it. If you do, brew it again with the extra hops.

TL

Okay guys, I'll take your advice.

My first batch was an Amber Ale from the same place -

8 lb. Alexander’s Pale Malt Extract
¾ lb. Briess Crystal Malt
½ lb. Munton & Fison Carapils
¼ lb. Briess Toasted Malt
1 oz. Amarillo Hop Pellets (Bittering)
½ oz. Amarillo Hop Pellets (Flavoring)
½ oz. Amarillo Hop Pellets (Finishing)
Wyeast # 1007 XL German Ale Yeast

and it is really rockin'. A little yeasty because of slip with the siphon, but when I let it settle and pour carefully it brings big smiles to everyone's faces.

Here's a shot of the first bottle I opened You can see it's a little "white", but I let the rest of the batch settle more. It was the perfect accompaniment to a dozen Cluck-U Atomic wings. And just about everything else I've eaten with it.

IMG_1206-1.jpg

Thanks for the tips!

Would one be able to substitute Tettenang hops for the Hallertau and still keep it pretty authentic? I have some on hand...

Thank you DeathBrewer. I am bottling my first beer, an Amber Ale, tonight and am trying to figure out what to do with batch two.

My tettnang hops are 4.8% AAU. Should I use the same amount as the recipe calls for of Hallertau or cut it back? Again, looking for an authentic brew in the style of HackerPschorr.

Back