Dumping apple juice on a batch of IPA's trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In some experiments, I made a cider that ended up a bit too light, alcoholic, and relatively flavorless. It's pleasant enough and tart, but just missing a little, y'know?

I also have a very superserious Imperial IPA bottled (very bitter, very hoppy, 10%ABV, very dark). Turns out mixing the two 50-50 tastes amazing--at least to the wife and I. This got me thinking, which is often where I get in trouble.

I'm probably going to try this anyhow, but I always appreciate the input of others:

I have a very floral+citrusy IPA in primary right now (aiming for something between Lagunitas IPA and Mojo IPA). I'm considering switching to secondary this weekend (which would be a bit early) then dumping 3 gallons of apple juice onto the cake including maybe 2 inches of the remaining IPA.

THEN, 1-2 days later when things are very settled and fermentation is moving along, I plan to immediately transfer those contents to a sort of "pre-secondary" (to a 3-gallon carboy). I know some ppl successfully use the whole cake for all of primary, but this feels safer/better to me. I may add a dash of nutrient as well.

I have about 3-5 days before I get this started. I welcome any input or thoughts. I usually add some tannins & acids to ordinary-juice cider but I might hold off on that since I hope the leftover hops/IPA trub will add enough character.

The yeast is nottingham ale.

Go for it.. and then post back here with what happened....

If you have a blend that tastes awesome - then just blend it... Remember that every single bottle of wine you can buy is blended.... Every single bottle of hard liquor you buy is blended.... There is no shame in blending stuff to hit the flavor you like best.

It's actually fairly common with ciders - as different apples come due at different times... Folks brew up straight Crab apple cider in August, then brew up bland, appley scented Golden/Red Delicious cider in September... then "Proper" bitter sharp cider in December and a couple others in-between... then mix them all up into an amazing blend when the time comes...

Fermenting the 2 together may turn out awesome - or it may be different altogether than the blend.. You won't know till you try.

Thanks

Yep, I figure it's a $12 experiment + some time.

And to be clear, I plan on continuing my blends--I actually prefer ciders mixed in half with various beers to the straight thing (often). I only related the story to reveal my inspiration :) (My local pub has a whole list of half cider/half beer drinks, but no IPA is included).

I also want to try brewing a porter using apple juice for a good portion of the water.

Will def follow up

Back