Dumped whole primary into bottling bucket...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopsbrewery

Reaction score
I've been brewing since November, a few times a month, and have had a great time making some great beer. Yesterday I was racking to secondary, made a mistake and my entire primary went into the bottling bucket. The yeast cake was so liquidy that it mixed right in. I saw no pint in letting it settle since I still had to add priming sugar to bottle, and wasnt dry hopping, so I stirred in the priming sugar and bottled straight away. This is a grain/extract bitters fermented for 10 days in primary at 74 degrees. Ive had killer success with this recipe 3 times now, but never had this happen. Did I ruin this or does it just need a few extra weeks in the bottle to resettle?

stubbornman said:
it will be fine, you will just have a ton of sediment in the bottles.

I always seem to no matter what when grain is involved. I pour into a glass to drink, so if that's the worst of it then a weight has just been lifted off my shoulders. Thanks Stubbornman!

Pouring to the shoulder.... I dont miss it... Kegging has changed my brewing experience!

Could this end up over carbing? I had a few 22oz bottles end up over carbed when i bottled what was left in the fermenter after filling my keg.. An i followed priming guildlimes to a "t"...

I spent a new years eve cleaning up my kitchen! Wifey was not impressed!

the extra yeast alone won't lead to over-carbonation. They have to have the fermentable sugars present. So your beer must have not been finished; leaving residual sugars behind, or you miscalculated your priming sugar needs.

Dr1nkBeer said:
Pouring to the shoulder.... I dont miss it... Kegging has changed my brewing experience!

Could this end up over carbing? I had a few 22oz bottles end up over carbed when i bottled what was left in the fermenter after filling my keg.. An i followed priming guildlimes to a "t"...

I spent a new years eve cleaning up my kitchen! Wifey was not impressed!

I had an IPA that overcarbed but luckily I had no bombs. The bottles would overfoam when opened though. It took an extra 6 weeks for the carb level to correct itself in the bottles at room temp. The waiting sucked.

Kegging isn't an economic reality right now, but a savings fund has been started.

Tons and tons of sediment. a solid half inch yeast cake at the bottom of every bottle, but the beer turned out great. Thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Back