Dump, Drink, or Dry Hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazer Wolf Brewing

Reaction score
Long story short - I made an error when creating a recipe in Brewer's Friend and mashed with 1 less pound of 2 row than I needed to hit my desired OG. I threw in some centennial at 5 mins left in boil, took the OG at end of boil, and realized my OG was really low. Unfortunately I didn't have any DME, so I decided to keep boiling and see what happens. I ended up having to boil for almost an hour longer to hit my target OG (I stopped a little below), and because of this, my late centennial addition has added a ton of IBUs.

Here's my question. I used a ton of hops in the whirpool (citra and mosaic) and i have about 4 ounces left waiting for the dry hop. Im tasting a sample now (ferm is done), and its quite bitter and a bit metallic. What would you do if you were in my shoes:

1. Dry hop with the ~$15-$20 worth of hops and proceed as normal - see how it turns out and use as learning experience.

2. Skip the dry hop, keg anyway, hopefully its a drinkable IPA. Save the Citra and Mosaic for another brew. Dump if undrinkable.

3. Dump the batch. My fermentation chamber and keezer space is extremely limited, and having 5 gallons of an undrinkable beer in the fermenter for another week, and then in the keezer for possibly a long time will hurt my time table for future brews.

I'm torn between 1 and 2. Thanks guys.

Option 4: Brew another similar recipe going a little light on the bitterness and blend the 2 brews.

Do you have any other hops available? I might dry hop something like that with less expensive hops with a similar character of the more expensive Citra and Mosaic.

I would not rush to option 3. I find some beers change dramatically after getting carbonated.

I would wait to see how it tastes carbonated before dumping it. Definitely not #3. Probably start with #2 and drink it unless it is totally undrinkable. Add a dry hop if you think it would help. Just call it a DIPA.

I'd see it through. Can't see 'some' Centennial making this beer undrinkable, maybe extra bitter so what? Citra and Mosaic make such a great pair. Give it time man. If it were me...and i've been there..I'd finish the brew with dry hops. You never know, may be one of the best beers you've ever made! :)

Dry hop it and then let it condition in the keg for a bit. I know you said you have limited space, but now might be the time to buy another keg! Let this one carb up a bit, then pull it out of the keezer and keep it in a temp stable room for a month to condition.

I'd say keg it up, let it carbonate fully, then taste it. If it's good, then dry hop it in the keg. You'll probably have to use a hop bag of some sort. Better to wait and see here than potentially waste a quarter pound of really nice hops.

IMO anyway

Back