Dumbest brewing thing I have done to date

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenDragon

Reaction score
Okay so after working 8 hours yesterday and then doing 90 minutes of calculus I decided to transfer the milk stout in my sig into the new keg I just received to see if my slow pour problem was keg related.

I decided that this proves that calculus kills brain cells. Anyone that has ever drank soda (probably even kindergartners) knows that you can't pour one 2 liter of pop directly into another 2 liter. Due to the carbonation it will fiz up and overflow. However, somehow I forgot this basic concept last night (once again I blame calculus). I decompressed the bad keg, sanitized the knew keg and thought "It's late I'll just pour it directly in, screw oxidization I'll hit it with CO2 and bleed it afterwards".

So I popped the lid off both kegs and poured the stout strait in and sure enough it foamed up all over the place. I think I prolly lost a gallon of beer but I won't really know until tonight when I get home.

The only thing smart I did was I did do the transfer in the garage avoiding massive wife agro.

On the bright side I found out it was the keg causing the slow pour and I didn't do this on my Oktoberfest, if I lost a gallon of it I'd prolly cry.

BTW I'm a returning adult student not some 22yr old college kid. Nothing against college kids, I had a blast my first time through college, a little too much fun actually... My work just pays for school so I figured since it's free I should really finish my degree.

Nice move. I would probably have done the same thing. But one time at HBT I saw a thread which described a device for transferring between kegs under pressure. He you go:

Take a short piece of tubing and put a liquid Quick Connect on each end.
Connect each end to each keg.
Apply a CO2 at carb pressure.
Release pressure valve on filling keg just enough to keep the beer moving.

This is also a nice way to transfer a cleared beer off the sediment, like if you wanted to transport it, but didn't want it shaken up on the way to the party.

Back