Dumb things beer judges say

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuercusMax

Reaction score
Looking over sheets from the competition I entered (and won a bronze for my Oktoberfest! woohoo!), I found this gem in the Overall Impression section for my Dry Stout:

"An enjoyable roasty beer. Looking for a second dimention [sic] other than Roast. Try adding coca [sic] in the secondary to give a bitt sweat [sic] flavor."

To which I say: WTF?? This was a "provisional judge", so I guess I can cut some slack, but seriously? The BJCP style guide for Dry Stout says "A very dark, roasty, bitter, creamy ale." Hmm. Nothing about cocoa nibs.

Adding coca in the secondary would certainly add a second dimension. Might get in a little legal trouble though!

Looking over sheets from the competition I entered (and won a bronze for my Oktoberfest! woohoo!), I found this gem in the Overall Impression section for my Dry Stout:

"An enjoyable roasty beer. Looking for a second dimention [sic] other than Roast. Try adding coca [sic] in the secondary to give a bitt sweat [sic] flavor."

To which I say: WTF?? This was a "provisional judge", so I guess I can cut some slack, but seriously? The BJCP style guide for Dry Stout says "A very dark, roasty, bitter, creamy ale." Hmm. Nothing about cocoa nibs.

some people just like bitter sweat.. also.. that was a "k", not an "a" in the recommendations for the secondary.

pretty sure he meant coca cola on that one. Pour a 2 liter bottle in after fermentation and then enter than one next year, if that doesn't do it, then add some actual sweat

albeit it was a poor suggestion as it removes it from the style it was judged in, but sometimes there's nothing really wrong with a beer, its just missing the intangibles to bump it to the next level and it can be hard to really give a suggestion on how to improve it. OTOH, there's also just a lot of people who suck at judging and basically seem to just show up to get free beer.

still tops the overall I got on a sour cherry quad: "solid"

My last Orange Blossom Saison was documented as "not to style". Not sure what that meant. Oh well maybe next year and a different judge :confused:

Rick

I think interpreting judging sheets is a challenge, but I definitely read one from a provisional judge (i.e. has not passed the tasting exam yet) differently than from a national judge.

"Inappropriate flavors for an IPA"

-from an almost exact clone of Jai Alai ('97-ish gold medal winner at the GABF). WTF?

Also:

"very interesting hop choice"

-from an APA with mosaic, centennial, and mostly cascade. Seriously?

Back