dumb stove question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NateKerx

Reaction score
I just finished my keggle and am testing it on a fairly powerful gas stove. I can position it in a way that allows it to be heated by two burners on the same side simutaneously. The problem is that condensation from underneath the keggle is dripping down onto the flame of the burners, causing a hiss and an orange/yellow flare up. Has anyone else had this problem? is it safe?

I would say that you need a burner just out of a safety aspect, but I have never tried putting my keggle on my stove. I would just assume that a burner with a proper stand may be safer.

Im sure you're probably right, I feel like a burner would save me a lot of grief. But at least for the next year im in a city apartment with no yard. Worst case scenario i'll have to do my brewing in my girlfriend's yard. The keggle does seem very stable on the stovetop though, now that the temp is closer to boiling it doesnt seem to be dripping anymore

Yeah, that's what I was going to say. The condensation should stop before long. If you're getting enough heat from the 2 burners and you feel safe enough with it up there, go for it.

The danger is that the more surface are of the outside of the keggle is going to get really hot and higher up on the keggle as well. How hot do the handles get? How hot does the ball valve get?

Even with one burner at a moderate level the bottom skirt of the keggle is hot enough to set normal hot pads on fire.

It's not boiling yet, its up to about 180 from 60 in just over an hour. I'm going to boil it for at least 35 minutes and test thehandle temps. I figure i'll be ok because the keggle will not be moved while the wort is still hot. It will be cooled on the stovetop once the boil is over. I dont see why the keggle handles would get any hotter that the handles of a normal 9 gallon SS brew pot. theres more surface area, shouldnt they be cooler?

Ever put a glass of ice water on the coffee table in the summer? Well, the condensation will create a puddle on the table. You could wipe off the glass every now and then, and you would do no damage to the table's finish. Once the water temp. equalizes to the temperature of the room, no more condensation. Use a towel to remove condensation from your keggle until the water heats up a little. My 20 gal. pot sits on two burners on the stove, and this happens all the time. The heat source under the pot seems to evaporate condensation on the bottom as long as I keep it from dripping down the sides.

Latest posts

Back