Dumb Question: How do you add DME to a beaker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueVassar

Reaction score
I've just begun making yeast starters and had been using a beaker. I've tried searching for this and found that some people put the DME in before heating the water but I found that out because of all the "scorched DME" threads. The steam seems to turn it into a paste before I can get it all in so what's the best solution?

Steam, DME and small openings are extremely frustrating.

I always fill my beaker with cold water, add the DME, then swirl to dissolve. Sure there will be a few clumps, but I don't worry about them. Heat the mixture on medium heat for the first 10 min or so, then turn the heat up. At this point the remaining clumps should be minimal. So far I've never burned the DME with this method.

There's no need to blast it with heat from the beginning.

Definitely add it cold. I measure DME on a piece of foil on the scale, then just curl it up into a funnel and pour down the neck of the E-flask. I don't even bother stirring, as convection will take care of that.

Definitely add it cold. I measure DME on a piece of foil on the scale, then just curl it up into a funnel and pour down the neck of the E-flask. I don't even bother stirring, as convection will take care of that.

That's what I do, too! Except I shake a bit, to make the lumps more uniform! :D

I generally heat my water/mix in the DME in a small separate sauce pot, then pour into my starter container with a sanitized funnel...avoids the whole problem altogether.

I generally heat my water/mix in the DME in a small separate sauce pot, then pour into my starter container with a sanitized funnel...avoids the whole problem altogether.

Same here. I tried boiling the wort in my flask once. It's a lot easier to control the foaming in a pot than a scorching hot glass container.

I put a piece of computer paper on the scale, weigh out the DME and then bend it into a chute to pour in. It goes in with the flask 100% dry, then the water goes in. If you've hot any moisture on the inside neck, it will stick and make a concrete plug that makes you want to smash the flask.

Back