Dumb mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Dobek

Reaction score
This is embarrassing, but I need advice ... Brewed a 5 gallon patch on Sunday - Coconut Porter. All went great, pitched the yeast and set it downstairs. About 36 hours later I checked on it and notice the air lock was not on properly. It is the three piece type and though the cap was on the unit that holds the water the plastic hood was no where to be found. I fixed the error - but again this is after 36 hours of it being off. Is there any hope for this beer?

You should not experience any problems. I assume that fermentation started, so, co2 would be coming out of the airlock preventing anything bad from getting in.

Happy to say there is EVERY hope for this beer! Sure, there's a small chance an infection got in and will take hold, but it's very unlikely. Was there visible fermentation going on when you fixed the airlock?

Happy to say there is EVERY hope for this beer! Sure, there's a small chance an infection got in and will take hold, but it's very unlikely. Was there visible fermentation going on when you fixed the airlock?
I was in a rush to get out of the house when I noticed the error. I fixed it as fast as I could and left. Normally I have "bubbling" at this point in the process.

Back