dug up 2-3 yr old rhizome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Labratbrew

Reaction score
Have had my eye on some hop plants that this business left behind...finally got permission to take them and decided to pull them up today... Anyone think itll effect the hops?

Stick 'em back in the ground and find out! If you're wondering if you've done damage to the crowns themselves, I kinda doubt it. There's so much energy stored up in a 3 yr. old crown that it won't really phase them. Knock as much soil off of them and take a look at how many buds they've got. Those are all gonna turn into climbing shoots - just so you'll have an idea. You could probably take a pruning saw and quarter the crown which will give you 4 really nice plants to use. Even if you do this you probably won't notice any real reduction in your crop if they were healthy to begin with.

Hop Rhizomes reproduce by sending out more roots and adding nodules on the top. If you look carefully at the rhizome you will see a bud that looks kind of like a potatoe eye. Plant the rhizomes approx 2 inches deep in well drained soil with the buds on top and your good to go. Remember that hops travel so if you want to contain them you can sink a 5 gallon bucket with the bottom cut out. This will drastically slow there invasiveness. If your rhizomes are fairly long and robust you can cut them into multiple sections (as long as each section has buds) and extend your crop and growing area. This will allow a little better spacing and make tending the bines easier. Hope this helps.
Bob

Rbeckett said:
Hop Rhizomes reproduce by sending out more roots and adding nodules on the top. If you look carefully at the rhizome you will see a bud that looks kind of like a potatoe eye. Plant the rhizomes approx 2 inches deep in well drained soil with the buds on top and your good to go. Remember that hops travel so if you want to contain them you can sink a 5 gallon bucket with the bottom cut out. This will drastically slow there invasiveness. If your rhizomes are fairly long and robust you can cut them into multiple sections (as long as each section has buds) and extend your crop and growing area. This will allow a little better spacing and make tending the bines easier. Hope this helps.
Bob

I ended up burying them in half barrel with organic mulch/manure... And then I covered them with some Leafs to help insulate them... Keeping my fingers crossed that they'll take off during the summer!

Back