Duff (Simpsons) tap handle (very pic heavy)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FloppyKnockers

Reaction score
A while ago I made a couple tap handles and created a thread about it here. The problem was I was pretty picture deficient in the Duff handle. Recently I had an opportunity to do another one of the same so I made use of the chance and took plenty of pictures and decided to create a new thread for both prosperity and assistance to others...enjoy.

The very beginning. A 1 x 3 piece of poplar cut into 3, 10 1/2" pieces for glue-up

The three pieces.

The three pieces with plenty of glue. Can't skimp on this. Better too much than not enough.

Glue all spread and all clamped up to cook overnight. After it's dry and cured I will cut the ends square, scrape the glue, and mark it for the lathe.

Here we have the blank squared up ready to be marked for centers. It now measures about 2 1/4 square by 10 1/4.

Marked for center on both sides.

Next I drew the biggest circle that would fit on the end. This will tell me the maximum diameter that can be achieved on the lathe.

With the blade tipped at 45° I will knock off the corners to save some time at the lathe.

Here it is ready to go on the lathe. I will turn it tomorrow and if I can I will try to shoot video of that.

Back in the shop. Got some short ribs on the grill, hanging with the wife, and sipping on some cold ones. Time to turn the handle...
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOUXqaOuGSY[/ame]

The one thing I couldn't do on the lathe was the very top. Here I spent a bit of time hand sanding to get the top smooth.

Next I drilled a hole for the hanger bolt. Contrary to the instructions, I found an 11/32" pilot hole to be the best choice.

Two coats of primer...

Several coats of classic red...

________________________________________________________________._____
Day 4

Now it's time for some graphics. I printed Duff Man and the Duff logo from the computer. The tip here is to use high quality paper that isn't too thick. Setting your print settings to high quality will also produce the best results. We're just going to cut out Duff Man for now. The badge will come later. A little spray adhesive will stick this guy to the handle.

bout 8 million coats of automotive finish later (or 7,542,824...I lost track).

While we've got the finish out, Let's go ahead and treat the badge decal. Before it's cut out I like to hit it with a few coats. It makes it a bit shinier and makes it more durable than printing to photo paper. It also makes it 'pop' a bit more. Here's a before and after.

Now that the finish has had some time to dry, let's go ahead and install the badge. Not a huge trick here. Just make sure it's in-line with Duff Man and has a good top/bottom spacing. I'll stick a finish nail through the holes to mark for pilot holes. A pair of 5/64" holes will do nicely for our screws that did not come with the badge.

Almost there....Next I use a pre-made template to trace an exacto knife with to cut the badge out.

A dab of glue on each screw will get this guy on.

Hit the back of the label with some of that spray adhesive and carefully place it on the badge and we're on the home stretch.

Lastly I'll put a few dabs of threadlocker on the anchor bolt so the ferrule will stay in place during handle changes.

I believe this is the most appropriate response:

8673694.gif

Totally awesome!

Question about the ferrule:

How do you make sure that the front is actually facing the front once the handle screws onto the tap?

How do you make sure that the front is actually facing the front once the handle screws onto the tap?

That's what the adjustable nut is for on the tap. You get it close then snug the tap nut up to keep in forward.

4194RdaqZlL._SY300_.jpg

What NervousDad said...

On my very first tap handle I worked really hard to put the handle on and mark for center to know where to locate the graphics. All that work was in vein because you never know the size of the faucet collar is going to be from one faucet to the next. This goes for handles with ferrules and threaded inserts.

Where did you get that badge?

The parts list:

BADGE. This is currently the only style they have. I would love to see round or square ones.

FERRULE. They also have a "Tulip" style one for more fancy-schmancy handles. They come with the anchor bolt.

They also carry finials for the top of the handles. Didn't see a need for them on this project.

I'm sure there are other companies out there that sell tap handle hardware, but these guys are right down the street from me.

Just noticed that too. That's too bad. Looks like KegWorks has a good selection of parts. Hopefully Rockler will come out with a newer more improved version.

Very wicked. If I were able to make my own handles, well I would have to invest in more taps. Which means a bigger system... Then more fridges...Then more kegs... Then divorce... Well you see where Im going.

Awesome work man.

Legendary stuff.

I love watching woodworking. Great pics, great video, beautiful craftsmanship. Thanks for sharing your passion and craft.

Amazing.

13567iA772B6324D29B0D3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back